Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton Wiring Help

Tmotos

Hi all. My Epiphone Sheraton neck pickup stopped working a couple of years ago and I just stopped playing it. Recently, I decided to fix it so I bought the acme kit and attempted to rewire and install new GFS pickups. I created the wiring harness using all new parts except for the switch, the switch provided by Acme is too short. Before I installed the electronics through the f hole, I plugged in the harness just to make sure that all of the wiring was correct. Here is the issue:

Neck pickup is fine when the switch is on the neck pickup.

Bridge is fine when the switch is on the bridge.

When the switch is in the middle, the bridge works, but the neck does not.

Do you think this is a switch issue? Is there anything electrical that could cause this? I'm going to order a new switch, but I thought I would post here to see if anybody had any ideas.

Thanks for reading.

• 4 weeks later...

My guess is that the contacts on the switch are corroded. If you order a new switch, which I would do, get a Switchcraft. You will never have to replace it again.

Good plan about testing everything before you fish it in through the F-hole. If it doesn't work outside, it won't work inside and then you will have to do it again. Fishing the parts in takes a lot of patience, but it will be worth it in the long run. I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in both my Dot and Sherry and I couldn't be happier. Make sure you use some good shielded wiring, especially from the switch to the 1/4" jack.

Also, I don't know what they sent you for a jack, but you will need a long 1/4" jack, not the regular size one. I learned this the hard way and had to redo my Dot. Actually, I had to redo it several times since it was the first semi that I had rewired. I really went to school on it. I also recommend a Switchcraft jack, you will never have problems with it. I have had other jacks loosen up on me, but not a Switchcraft. When you tighten the jack make sure you put a screwdriver or something to catch and hold the tip so the jack won't twist a wire off when you tighten it up.

Good luck!

Archived