Gibson Brands Forums

NEED HELP ON EPI SST STRAP PIN

LEE1951

I'm sure this topic's not been asked before [sleep] I just got my new Epiphone SST-Studio. GREAT guitar given it's low price! However I need to install a strap pin...for some reason the guitar never comes with one for the neck end. I'd like to install mine on the back of the body, centered and in from the neck joint rather than the "wrap around" attach point where many acoustic type instruments typically are installed. I am lucky enough to have a gold plated pin and screw from another instrument with the screw itself being about an inch long. I understand the bodies on the SSTs are chambered. Will this cause any problem? Help. Thanks!

I'm sure this topic's not been asked before [sleep] I just got my new Epiphone SST-Studio. GREAT guitar given it's low price! However I need to install a strap pin...for some reason the guitar never comes with one for the neck end. I'd like to install mine on the back of the body, centered and in from the neck joint rather than the "wrap around" attach point where many acoustic type instruments typically are installed. I am lucky enough to have a gold plated pin and screw from another instrument with the screw itself being about an inch long. I understand the bodies on the SSTs are chambered. Will this cause any problem? Help. Thanks!

Its a classical guitar (but solid like a les paul) so they usually don't have them. (At least in my experience)

I owned for a brief period of the CEC variant

You need to use the lace that comes with your guitar strap (Normal shoe lace will also do)

Its tied around the neck above the nut (But below the strings) and knotted through the strap hole

Hope this helps

Its a classical guitar so they never have them.

You need to use the lace that comes with your guitar strap (Normal shoe lace will also do)

Its tied around the neck above the nut (But below the strings) and knotted through the strap hole

Hope this helps

You're thinking of the SST Classic:

Epi-SST-3.jpg

This is the SST Studio:

p42291.jpg

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, even if you you did poke into one of the chambers, I can't imagine it would have much of an effect (if any) on the sound. If you wanna play with a strap and have it feel like a normal electric, do it. But if i had one, I'd just go with SS1's idea about the shoe lace, I wouldn't wanna drill a hole in any guitar.

You're thinking of the SST Classic:

This is the SST Studio:

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, even if you you did poke into one of the chambers, I can't imagine it would have much of an effect (if any) on the sound. If you wanna play with a strap and have it feel like a normal electric, do it. But if i had one, I'd just go with SS1's idea about the shoe lace, I wouldn't wanna drill a hole in any guitar.

#-o My Bad

Well I hope the strap advice was useful at least you wouldn't need to drill the thing...

YES! Screw it into the neck heel if you are going to install a strap pin.

If, on the other hand, you don't wish to alter your guitar or go with the old "shoelace" ... Martin Guitars makes this very simple and rather elegant solution for about $8 bucks:

MartinStrapPin.jpg

Jim

Archived