Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Upgrade Help

Freekzilla

I have a 07 Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top. I want to do some upgrades but I need some help. Here is what I'm planning: New pots, Gold speed knobs, pup selector switch with aged tip, creme ring surround, maybe a nut, bridge and or saddles and black back plates. I already put some nice Grover tuners on it but everything else is stock. Im just a bit confused as to what type of pots I should get, 500k are in there now but do I need split shaft and what about the pup selector, I see many different types. So what will fit my Epi and work best? Please just tell me what to buy and I'll get it.

Thanks

Kris

Yup, upgrading the electrics is a good moove, There is much debate about the pots .....like whether to buy logarithmic (audio taper) or linear taper pots. then there is the type..metric ones or imperial ones. then there is the value in ohms.

IMHO for 'buckers go 500k ohms and personally i would choose to go with audio taper for both volume and tone controls but some folks prefer to use linears for the volume , or even vice a versa... then there is the wiring style to think about ...modern style or 50s style....and what about dependent and independent volumes controls..and don't forget capacitors usually .22 uf for humbucking pickups.

popular choice for upgrades to switch and jack are "switchcraft" ones.

I am in the process of upgrading my Sherry with Classic 57 / 57+ and I just ordered a Vintage ES 335 wiring kit from BCS.

You can find kits there both modern or vintage for Les Paul like:

BCS Guitars

or for more vintage tone

BCS Guitars

A nice alternative for those who don't want to spend too much (RS in mind) and still benefit from a nice upgrade.

Archived