Gibson Brands Forums

Help to I.D. this guitar

Huge Ackman

I bought this guitar on a whim about 7 years ago and have come to really love it. I've never seen another one like it and wonder if anybody knows more about its origin, likely date and place of production and any other info on it. I'm a dedicated Rush fan and know that Alex Lifeson plays a Gibson version of this guitar but I cannot find any other photos of the Epiphone version with the body shape and details like the instrument that I own. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

KenssignedposterAlex.jpg

Honestly never seen anyting like it...but i like it! Cool guitar though, some of the other members will be able to id it, or call it a mystery...but i can tell you it apears to be some form of howard roberts signature ... :)

Its a Howard Roberts Fusion II. They were made between 1986-1989. Yours loks to be a 1986 or 1987. The 1989 versions had an inlay ont he headstock.

I’m assuming it’s Korean (by the headstock) and didn’t know this headstock was done on Korean Models before 1988-89, I’ve seen numerous examples in Canada but none were earlier than 1988.

So does this mean the LP standards from Korea had the same headstock 1986 to 1989 also?

Its a Howard Roberts Fusion II. They were made between 1986-1989. Yours loks to be a 1986 or 1987. The 1989 versions had an inlay on the headstock.

I had no idea that Alex Lifeson plays on on these. Very cool.

Rush07Marysville050.jpg

Alex's is a Gibson versus my Epi. It comes out very rarely...this photo was from the 2007 Snakes & Arrows Tour (taken at Marysville, CA) and was played only on a tune called "The Way the Wind Blows". Otherwise, I had never seen or heard it (that I knew of) except in "Gear" photos and articles.

Another detail about my guitar...it has a "split-coil" pick-up feature, activated by a push/pull on the tone control knob. I understand the concept but not the nuts and bolts of its function. I am a VERY amateur player and the subtleties of some of the differences in sound production are lost on my untrained ear. Can anyone try to explain how/when a split-coil is used or desirable? Does it affect both pick-ups or only one?

I notice the my guitar really has no identifying marks of any kind other than the inlaid Epiphone logo and "Howard Roberts" engraved on the truss rod cover plate. There is the faintest shadow of something that could be numbers, as in a serial number, on the back of the head stock but they're so faint, they hardly even show up on a photo. There are no visible marks, stickers, labels or other notations inside the hollow body that I can see, although I have never removed the pick guard to see if there is something concealed behind that.

Thanks for the help and info! Rock on!

RushatRedRocks2010420.jpg

Archived