Gibson Brands Forums

What's a run-of-the- mill fret job cost?

heymisterk

I don't know where you live but here in London, UK, I've just had two guitars done at a cost of £80 (approx $140) each. This included some 'crowning' work so a simple dress would probably be less.

P.

Costs will vary somewhat depending on how much work is required

A set-up and 'fret dress' can start from around £50

If any frets are seriously worn they may need replacement...then costs rise for this highly skilled work

£100 and upwards.....

V

:-({|=

What do you mean by Fret job? Is that replace the frets or crown and polish? If there is enough meat left on the frets they can be taken down to get rid of any divots you may have but depends how deep they are. Can you get some good close ups of what shape they are in?

All replies here are pretty accurate but I'll give my two pennies worth - If your frets are worn or divotted, dented, etc. and the set of the neck might be even slightly suspect then the real cure is to have all the frets replaced and trued (Plane filed) then dressed on a jig to obtain the best results - If the condition of the neck or the angle at which it sits is suspect crowning and dressing the existing frets is ( to quote a term from my Triumph GT6+ manual) a "false economy" - to use an American expression: If you love the instrument, "go big, or go home"

Unfortunately this will cost a bit more than the above stated costs because of materials and labor, but the end result will reward you with many years of enjoyment - As for a figure - Here in "Podunk, NC" my employer usual refrets and trues a neck for around $400.00 US and will usually reset the neck, if necessary (Usually not necessary).

Lovely model Guild - I suggest doing anything required to make her truly yours and make her permanent.

B

Archived