Gibson Brands Forums

is this a scam?

Gibson Artist

So im cruising around Eflay, land of the chinese fakes when i come across this SWEET 1976 Les Paul Custom i could barely contain my drool. Im well aware that a good les paul from this era would be worth a few thousand so i was getting ready to bid because a project would allow me to buy the parts at my time frame and be more cost friendly for my wallet.

Then, i see he has a picture on the headstock and it appears as tho the serial number is 00125067. A fast check on the Gibson Serial checker says the git was manufactured in 2005 and im thinking what the heck? Is my eyesight bad or is this guy trying to scam people, am i misreading the numbers or are those zeros supposed to be the letter o?

I dont know what a 70s custom would cost but im gonna guess about 4-5k? Anyways here is the ad, please tell me if i got the serial right or wrong, i was punching in all zeros, is one of those a letter o instead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-1976-EZ-PROJECT-BLACK-BEAUTY-/170688227539?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2487522254445471323

The serial number decal as shown. with the prefix "00" would be from 1976. You might notice the date code prefix is in slightly bolder type, plus the fact that is on a decal (not stamped into the wood) is also typical of the 75-77 era. This serial number system preceded the current 8-digit system that Gibson has used since sometime in '77.

Just for informational purposes the date code prefixes used during this period were:

99 = 1975

00 = 1976

06 = 1977

I own a 1975 LP Standard so I am familiar with the LP's of this era. The guitar pictured seems to be as described.

Typed a responce, but it didn't work. Try again:

For a '76, the first 2 #'s would indicate the year. There where 3 years which the first two numbers are a "code" for the year, and a '76 would be one of those years. "00" as the first 2 numbers is one of those.

Looking at it, from what I can tell it looks like it is what he says it is. The back of the headstock in particular has what looks like a genuine seriel# as well as the proper holes for the tuners it should have came with.

The thing I like, though, is it appears to come from a shop (Hank's Guitars) with a phone number. You could easily call and find out if it is a shop and get references to a website. Also, he offers a 7 day right of return if it is NOT what is described.

Check the value, though. I am not sure it would be worth too much more than what the current bid is. I could be wrong, but I don't think they are quite worth 4-5k.

For a '76, the first 2 #'s would indicate the year. There where 3 years which the first two numbers are a "code" for the year, and a '76 would be one of those years. "00" as the first 2 numbers is one of those.

Looking at it, from what I can tell it looks like it is what he says it is. The back of the headstock in particular has what looks like a genuine seriel# as well as the proper holes for the tuners it should have came with.

The thing I like, though, is it appears to come from a shop (Hank's Guitars) with a phone number. You could easily call and find out if it is a shop and get references to a website. Also, he offers a 7 day right of return if it is NOT what is described.

Check the value, though. I am not sure it would be worth too much more than what the current bid is. I could be wrong, but I don't think they are quite worth 4-5k.

Thanks guys! Not sure if its worth the bid, but man i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to own a 70s Custom. Thing is i only saw one seller with les paul pickups in the 70s and he had the triple ones and wanted 3k. Seemed like he was gouging abit.

Hey, check this link is this same guitar for sale on another website? It looks like the exact same Serial Number. http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7044&lotNo=&lotIdNo=11115&ts=off

Notice how the one on this website has the pickups? Did this guy rip them out and sell them seperately? Man, that would be awful to do to a 76, blasphemy lol.

Hey, check this link is this same guitar for sale on another website? It looks like the exact same Serial Number. http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7044&lotNo=&lotIdNo=11115&ts=off

Notice how the one on this website has the pickups? Did this guy rip them out and sell them seperately? Man, that would be awful to do to a 76, blasphemy lol.

Interesting. Same description, too. Maybe ask the dealer where he got it?

It is kinda common for dealers to search for deals on the web. Also, he may have had a "76 that was in better shape, but someone had replaced the components and he wanted to restore it.

$1500 for a guitar with no electronics and most of its hardware missing [confused] .... You can get a 76 LPC with everything for about $2200

I wonder if the 70s models will be collectible sometime shortly? I certainly cant afford the 60s ones but if what you say is true it could be a nice investment as well as fun. Something you can pass down to your children perhaps?

I wonder if the 70s models will be collectible sometime shortly? I certainly cant afford the 60s ones but if what you say is true it could be a nice investment as well as fun. Something you can pass down to your children perhaps?

Who can say? Consider also that ALL collectables are taking a hit right now from what they were worth, say, 5 years ago? But, then who would have thought a strat would ever be worth 20k?

There is no shortage of 70's models right now. It is not like anytime soon everyone is going to want one and they are going to get hard to buy. They made a LOT of them.

If you just WANT this particular axe, why not? It's your money. You could find bargains and put as little as 200 in it or end up spending 500 to restore it. You might end up paying 3k in the end and wind up with a guitar worth 2k. (that might be a stretch) Would it be the end of the world?

I tend to believe DUANE's assesment you could get one for 2200. I think GOOD humbucks are about 300 and maybe 150 for bridge and tailpiece? maybe another 50 in misc. The tuners look cheesy on that too. So, as far as value goes, it might be at the break even point now.

But just my opinion-a messed up black finish with new gold might look better than a nice black finish with worn out gold.

I've always felt a Gibby was a players guitar..... Never thought of them as collectibles, but I can understand why people think of them as such due to their raw beauty.....

When you're not playing them, they are sure nice to look at [thumbup]

Archived