Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup/Electronic Upgrade Advice

neilpanda

I need help and/or advice. I picked up my epi 335 and plugged her into the new amp. let's just say I was less than satisfied with the sound.

I put her down a while back cause I had problems with the neck pickup, its working now, but again, I dont like the sound. [thumbdn]

so Ive decided to replace the guts and pickups in it. never done this type of stuff before and Im no DIY guy [blush]

so yea, Im pretty much an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff [flapper]

Im thinking a pre wired kit would be best for me cause Id probably just burn my hand off with the solder [flapper]

Pickups? something that wont break the bank, Im broke so yeah...

Ive heard GFS pickups are nice and pretty cheap too

but I'll take your recommendations and search around [biggrin]

I can't understand the reason for paying for pre-wired kits. You STILL have to do some soldering if you do it yourself.

If you really suck at these things, you might take what you would pay for a pre-wired kit and pay someone to do the whole job. I think with a 335 style it is more work to fish the parts through than it is pre-wiring the parts.

Sounds like a fun deal though. And nothing wrong with trying to do it yourself for fun either. Or paying someone.

Sounds like a fun deal though. And nothing wrong with trying to do it yourself for fun either. Or paying someone.

ehh, I would try to do some work myself, but I guess paying somebody to do it sounds better than buys a $125 pre wired kit :-k

This advice from me has been followed........For damn good reason.................

Replace the stock Epi pickups with Gibby 57s.....Now, Gibby raises and lowers the prices on the 57s..........

Find them used......GFS are not '57s..........As far as doing the work yourself, " SOLDER and GIMORA " didn't work out years ago......

Just sayin'......Or, go with SEARCY pickups........rockin' pickups......

Archived