Gibson Brands Forums

strap locks for explorer

mcjason

Hey guys, so I've just forked out a little shy of thousand euro on a gibson explorer, worth every penny I might add. On my previous guitars I've always but on strap locks, usually schaller but on my epi SG I had to drill a new hole because the hole made by the screw for the strap stud was too big. My Gibson hasn't been delivered yet so I haven't had time to check it out but will I have the same problem with the explorer as with the SG? If so is there any other way to overcome it apart from filling the hole with glue and toothpicks as I read online, it cost quite a lot so I don't wanna do a half *** job like that. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add strap locks to my explorer but didn't to "modify" anything structurally on it. I found a Planet Waves guitar strap that locks onto the existing posts and does a great job. They're rated for something like over 100 pounds. I think that's around 45 kilograms for those who still think the metric system is going to catch on.....

For about $20 USD I have locking straps that are holding up quite well and no modifications were needed on the guitar.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I prefer to ream out the centre hole of the strap locks in order to fit the original screws. Usually, the head of the screw also needs to be ground down a little to fit down into the strap lock button. This gives a more secure fix than toothpicks and glue, but needs just a little more work.

If the neck end screw is going in from the back of the guitar, you must check that the tip of the screw doesn't need to be ground off incase the screw sits lower in the strap lock button than it did in the original. Especially in 61 RI SGs! You wouldn't want a crew tip popping up through the fretboard! Also check the screws provided with the strap lock before getting the screwdriver out!

Archived