Gibson Brands Forums

Recording problem

DAS44

Hey guys! I've been trying to work out the kinks in my recording process, and I've encountered a bit of an obstacle. I'm using a Tascam US-122 interface, and I have set audacity to 2 channels (for stereo), and yet it comes out mono. I've tried fiddling with the interface a bit, to no avail. Wondering if anyone has a solution or could help me troubleshoot :)

If I've left anything out please let me know.

Any ideas/suggestions/solutions?

I have Audacity, although I've never used.....That's a nice little interface you have......There are some guys here who record, but not many [scared] .......

Try the Audacity forums, or, better yet, sign on over at the Recording Review Forum.....It's a great site, with a bunch of recording pros, semi-pros (like me),

and newbies....There's a forum/thread dedicated for Audacity.....REAPER 4 DAW is out, I recommend it...........

Two possibilities I can think of...

1) Your interface is only putting in a mono signal. Basically I end up doing just that with the rig I use. My AE amp has the mike and guitar plugged in, then I use the line out to the interface, and that takes it into Audacity. Then I split the signal to stereo although I don't do much panning because it sounds too odd. I just do a bit different eq on each channel. Actually right now I do have it set up to record stereo, but....

2) Your Audacity is set up to record mono.

So... I guess you may want first to check the software.

Edit/Preferences/ That brings up a set of choices. Audio I/O then you can see if you're set to record in stereo or mono.

If it's set for stereo, start looking at the hardware to ensure you really are going into and out of the interface in stereo. I don't know that interface, though...

m

I think it's probably the software... did you set every channel for the corresponding input? Some DAWs create channels routed to input 1 if you don't tell them otherwise in the preferences menu.

Does your DAW (the software you are using to record) recognize all the inputs on your interface?

Well, I've had Audacity set to record stereo <shrug>, after a bit of research I'm beginning to believe it is the settings I'm using on the interface. I'll do some testing soon to see what I might need to tweak

Archived