Gibson Brands Forums

Question about SHERATON II

X53Gunner

I found a nice SHERATON II but would like to replace the pickups with better ones. My concern is the gold hardware. Are those just gold covers over the pick ups and I can put what ever I want under the covers or do I have to find gold pick ups? Thanks for your time!

Scott

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. The gold covers are indeed covers, but they are soldered to the base of the pickup, so changing covers is not easy. If you did change covers you would also have to check that the polepiece holes were in exactly the same place, and this can vary between pickups.

Changing pickups is not a straightforward job on a Sheraton. Unless you just cut the wires to the pickups short, i.e. up near the pickup, the electrics have to be taken out through the f-hole, and if you search here on the forum, (in the DIY thread?) you can read more about that. We tend not to cut pickup wires short. It's better electronically to have intact wires, and solder them to the components. Also, people don't like buying pickups with short wires so you could reduce what you get for the originals if you sell them, and the same for the replacements if you ever want to sell those.

Some folk have found an improvement in tone, particularly in getting more clarity and a less muddy bottom end, by changing out only the wiring (pots, switch, jack, capacitors) for better quality components. I would definitely budget for this (EDIT- 'IF') if changing pickups.

I've changed pickups twice on mine and I agree that if you don't like the stock pickups, changing is worthwhile. I've had GFS in mine which are good value and better than the stock ones. But for the effort involved, or the cost if you get a tech to do it, I would definitely go with a top quality pickup if you can, Gibson, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle etc.

I ended up with SD '59 Classics in my Sheraton and DiMarzio Air Classics in my Riviera. Both huge upgrades. I would recommend taking your Sheraton to a pro, however. Hollows and semi-hollows can be real buggers to work on. Some luthiers even charge more. My luthier won't even accept wiring harnesses; he prefers to make his own with heavier wires for the hollows. These upgrades will transform your guitar, but it's best to let a pro do them.

I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in my Dot and my Sherry. I installed them myself. Yeah it does take some patience, but definitely doable. I am more than happy with the upgrade. If you are gonna do the pups, do the pots, jack, switch and wires too. The electronics in Epis are not their strong side. Once you upgrade them, you won't have to again. If you have a tech do it for you, expect to pay at least $100, maybe more. It does take a while to do.

If you do it yourself, make sure you use shielded wire, especially from the jack to the switch. Get a long Switchcraft jack, Switchcraft switch and CTS pots. I used Orange Drop caps too, but there are many to choose from.

Archived