Gibson Brands Forums

JTM-45 = powerfull Class5?

awel

( If I'm correct )....All three are class A amps...JTMs were 45 watt amps, upped to 50 watts later on........

So, the wattage is different....JTMs were based on Fender's Bassman amps.......................but,

I don't see the JTM being a related big brother to the Class 5 amps.....Just similar...like a cousin.....

( If I'm correct )....All three are class A amps...JTMs were 45 watt amps, upped to 50 watts later on........

So, the wattage is different....JTMs were based on Fender's Bassman amps.......................but,

I don't see the JTM being a related big brother to the Class 5 amps.....Just similar...like a cousin.....

JTM - 45 isn't class A it's a Push/Pull which I believe is technically a class A/B. Best Amp I have is the Metro Amp JTM45 Clone I built! Love It!!!!

Andy

JTM - 45 isn't class A it's a Push/Pull which I believe is technically a class A/B. Best Amp I have is the Metro Amp JTM45 Clone I built! Love It!!!!

Andy

Thanks Andy but sadly I don't have the knowledge or Time to built one myself. I can Check Ceriatone clones but don't know what to think about it.

Al

Andy

Thank you Andy, yes, class A/Bs are push pull, so the Marshall Class 5 amp is a completey different beast......

Hi everyone,

I have a question:

I love my marshall Class5 because it accept so well pedals.

Does someone knows if the JTM-45 head or the bluesbraker combo is a more powerfull version of the class5?

JTM-45 and Bluesbreakers also accept pedals exceptionally well. Neither is a high gain amp similarly to the Class 5. If you like the Class 5 you will LOVE its bigger ancestors. I use the red '68 in my avatar on stage with my effects rack (JMP-1,etc.) all the time. Sounds spectacular.

JTM-45 and Bluesbreakers also accept pedals exceptionally well. Neither is a high gain amp similarly to the Class 5. If you like the Class 5 you will LOVE its bigger ancestors. I use the red '68 in my avatar on stage with my effects rack (JMP-1,etc.) all the time. Sounds spectacular.

There should be a "bib warning" attached to that pic....... [drool]

There should be a "bib warning" attached to that pic....... [drool]

Here is a larger image as it appeared on the cover of a Canadian vintage guitar calendar. The amp is a '68 Plexi and the SG is a '62 SG/LP Std with PAFs. Sometimes I still drool too. Deadly combination. I played them together for about an hour tonight. I compared yhe SG/LP to my R7, '61RI, and a few old guitars. It seems that all of the other guitars have some qualities of the SG/LP, but the SG/LP is the only one that has everything all wrapped up in one guitar.

VinGuitars-Cvr-5.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have a question:

I love my marshall Class5 because it accept so well pedals.

Does someone knows if the JTM-45 head or the bluesbraker combo is a more powerfull version of the class5?

A far, far more powerful version.

I have only had 2 marshalls, and am not the expert. But, while there are differences between different Marshalls, I have felt that they always seem to have a certain sound. I have not played the Class 5, but from what I have heard (from you in particular in your vid) it sounds very much like what I might describe as a Marshall sound.

The "experts" I have conversed here on this forum all seem to use power attenuators. I have not, but I can tell you that when a Marshall is cranked, while it is far, far too loud for me to use, the sound is GLORIOUS.

My opinion, but I find that overall, Marshall amps are a higher fidelity amp. They have a very simple circuit that preserves more of what is put into it than most amps.

Before there was power attenuators, many users depended on pedals for a lot of the sounds and tones, including distortion sounds. As you may well imagine, they would more often than not be used far below the sweet spot most of the time. In the 80's and before, when most of the pedals we use were designed, Marshall was THE amp to have, so most pedals would have been designed around what would work well with a Marshall.

No, the Class 5 just LOOKS like a Bluesbreaker.

I have a Bluesbreaker (50 watt small cab reissue). It is tube-rectified and uses 5881 power tubes. It has 25 watt 12 inch Celestion greenbacks so you have speaker distortion practically before you turn it on, which I personally consider a good thing. It has tremolo (Marshall spelling!) which is not such a great Marshall thing.

It is very, very loud. It doesn't get louder past 4, it just starts sounding better. It does OK with pedals, but it already has the overdriven sound so there's no point. It's really an amp that's meant to be dimed and frankly is not a "bedroom practice" amp in any way shape or form. I live in the country so it's not so much of an issue.

And yes, if you dime it with a Les Paul and completely roll off your tone, you get close to "Woman Tone"...

Archived