Gibson Brands Forums

Started my guitar lessons again :-)

daveinspain

After the summer brake I had my first guitar lesson again yesterday... It's so good to have a guitar teacher! I had been practicing my scales all summer and have improved my dexterity a lot, as far as getting around the neck goes. So my professor was like ok lets see what you can do. Of course I messed up because he was watching but after a while I got into the groove and I'm sure he saw a vast improvement. As I was doing my scales I noticed he was paying lots of attention to what each of my hands were doing. After a short while he pointed out a couple things I was doing wrong and with just a couple of adjustments how I was holding the pick, and my hand placement on the guitar he improved my speed and clarity.

There is so much you can learn on your own but having a teacher is great. Just sayin'...

Congrats on the lessons. I started taking one lesson a week almost a year ago and I am still taking them. I am learning and improving and I have a pretty good interaction with my instructor. NIce thing is that he is learning form me also. We are working on some music by Tab Benoit right now, he didn't like it at first but I think he is starting to enjoy playing some of these blues riffs now.

It is a good thing to have someone instruct you. My guy is the same way about watching what I do and how I do it. There have been a few times that he told me that my way was probably a better way to play it.

Have fun and learn a lot. If this old dog can learn new things I am sure that you will.

Good for you Dave! I've been getting lessons since I started, never stopped, and I'm a better player for it (a far better player for it). :) A good teacher is hard to find, but they're just as important as a nice guitar.

Archived