Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Top with black parts

cam011235

I have seen this pic of an original Gold Top 57 standard with black parts and decided it looks totally awesome..apparently this is one of the most sought after guitars for collectors apparently even more than a 59 standard...but to me it looks fantastic

I have been thinking of getting a gold top traditional and doing these mods.. there is a lovely gold top traditional in my mates local shop it plays particularly well..i am seriously thinking of getting it and adding these parts to resemble the vintage classic..

what would be the best way to do these parts? is there any particular advice i should follow?

Gibson_Les_Paul_Gold_Top.jpg

I have seen this pic of an original Gold Top 57 standard with black parts and decided it looks totally awesome..apparently this is one of the most sought after guitars for collectors apparently even more than a 59 standard...but to me it looks fantastic

I have been thinking of getting a gold top traditional and doing these mods.. there is a lovely gold top traditional in my mates local shop it plays particularly well..i am seriously thinking of getting it and adding these parts to resemble the vintage classic..

what would be the best way to do these parts? is there any particular advice i should follow?

Nice to meet a fellow Bonamassa Fan [thumbup]

The best advice I can give is make sure the black pickup surrounds, guard & back covers are GIBSON, as a generic variation will not fit.

The rest of a traditional should be as shown in the above.

Here are some ebay sellers surgestions

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-USA-REPL-GUITAR-PICK-UP-SURROUND-BLACK-BRIDGE-/220831876412?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item336a9b053c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWITCH-SURROUND-RHYTHM-TREBLE-GIBSON-STYLE-BLACK-/120572006331?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item1c12a6cfbb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Backplate-set-switch-and-control-cover-Black-/380367574192?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item588fac94b0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-GUITAR-PICKGUARD-SCRATCH-PLATE-/370473992825?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5641f88279

cheers..absolutely will stay with original parts my mates shop is a gibson dealer they are pretty switched on..it is very appealing as he has a goldtop traditional that feels good to play..would look good with these mods

thanx very much for your help [smile]

yeah i could turn a trad goldtop into a 57 goldtop. minus the long neck tennon and swiss cheese holes

change the wiring replace plastics exchange the nashville for a ABR1 etc

would be a kool project, find the right goldtop and go for it.

my ebony trad has nearly finished its full custom mod, just need to replace the Nashville to a Callaham ABR1

It's a cool look, but I don't think these are out-selling the '59 LP Standards

just read that somewhere as regards to the original 50s guitars for collectors the article claimed that an original 57 gold top standard with black parts was regarded as more sought after than a 59 standard burst..however they were trying to sell the instrument so i really shouldnt quote it i suppose...250 000 reasons y they may say this..it did appeal to me when i saw it i think i would rather have a 59 standard burst...just dream stuff really these old 50s guitars are beautiful they are going to end up worth a fortune i think eventually just investors and collectors will have them is my guess

yeah i could turn a trad goldtop into a 57 goldtop. minus the long neck tennon and swiss cheese holes

change the wiring replace plastics exchange the nashville for a ABR1 etc

would be a kool project, find the right goldtop and go for it.

my ebony trad has nearly finished its full custom mod, just need to replace the Nashville to a Callaham ABR1

any chance of seeing a pic? i have often thought about doing up an ebony trad would like to see it if its cool [thumbup]

Archived