Gibson Brands Forums

Saw this on a parked car

TommyK

I saw this on the back window of a car in a parking lot. I just HAD to share it. Painted on the rear window in letters that covered the window:

"LEARNING CLUTCH

Back Off"

Standard tranny cars are fun to drive sometimes,

Color me "old school" or "purist" but I love a "manny tranny" on a performance car. I want the gear/rpm/throttle/etc that I want, when I want it, not when my computer driven trans says I can have it. So there! [flapper] [flapper]

In this age of front wheel drive cars, I think the manual transmission is on its' way out. Time was you could save a few MPGs going manual, if you knew how to operate it correctly. But there isn't that much fuel advantage any more with today's automatics.

Time was, I could replace the clutch on a rear wheel drive vehicle in an afternoon, just remove the drive shaft, support the trans, unbolt it from the frame let the engine rest on the motor mounts, slide the trans off, bench press it to the side, then replace about $35.00 worth of parts. QED.

With Front drivers, you gotta drop the entire engine and transaxle out of the engine bay to split the two. 8.5 hours worth of work. I don't have the lift or shop to do it. Costs about 2 grand. [scared]

Even Jay Leno predicts that manual transmissions will go the way of the manual choke, manual spark advance and horn rings before the decade is out.

Archived