Gibson Brands Forums

My Late Grandfather's Stash

cstanford1973

My mom found a guitar that my grandfather had. We are not sure where it came from or when he obtained this. He was always in the habit of purchasing items that were going to be worth something in the future.

Here is what I know so far. My mom has not sent photos yet. She is 11 hours away and kind of slow to the whole computer thing...lol

It's a Gibson. We are pretty sure it is a flattop.

The stamped serial number inside is 2827. There are no letters nor dashes to indicate anything else for this number. There is no label inside.

The guitar has 6 strings.

The Gibson gold banner is present "Only a Gibson is good enough" (Indicates Pre WW2)

It has 2 pearl dots on the bridge.

The widest measurement is 16".

Hole is about 4"

Has a tortoise shell pick guard.

Has ivory inlays in bridge area.

I have been to numerous websites trying to figure this one out.

If the serial number is truly 2827, then it is definitely worth something because this means it's a 1906 guitar.

In addition to this, she has a VIA Antonio 22, Stridente Mandolin made in Naples. This we know is from the 20's to 30's.

• 2 months later...

It's a Gibson. We are pretty sure it is a flattop.

You really don't know the difference between a flat top and archtop guitar?

The stamped serial number inside is 2827. There are no letters nor dashes to indicate anything else for this number.

This not a serial number, it's an FON (factory order number).

There is no label inside.

Gibson flat tops never had labels in the old days, except the Nick Lucas Special

The Gibson gold banner is present "Only a Gibson is good enough" (Indicates Pre WW2)

The "banner" logo indicates WWII to early post war period NOT pre-war.

because this means it's a 1906 guitar.

Definitely NOT a 1906 guitar

I am guessing that it's a Gibson Jumbo - Model could be J-45, J-50

[confused] Not sure why you're coming along in December to quote the OP, tell him things that were since explained to him in subsequent posts back in September (FON info, banner logo info, general date period).

Also, your quoting technique is kind of confusing. If you're going to quote, you can separate your comments from the quoted material, either by taking the time to tag properly, or putting your own comments in bold text.

Archived