Gibson Brands Forums

What does "Vintage" mean to you????

onewilyfool

Vintage is marketing hype.

The Royal Navy 'Dreadnought' was the 1st steam powered giant battleship in 1906. Ten years later CF Martin Co introduced the world's first (namesake) dreadnaught guitar because of it's huge size... start there and work up, imo.

Vintage is marketing hype

It is now, when tricksters try to pass off a 73 Strat or a square shoulder J45 for 2 figures. But when that '72 was new off the rack and the square 45 was new out of the box, gear hounds were seeking out 50s Strats and banner slopes because they sounded better than the recent issue. Than also is true.

Anything older than me.

My thoughts exactly! ... (referring to myself, of course [biggrin] )

The term "vintage" also usually means alot more $$$ in some way or another .. whether justified or not.

I'm not so much a fan of vintage. I actually prefer new & polished, thus making me a "bling-hound".

"Tone-hound" is the term i like.... when an old git looses it's tone, you proclaim it to be 'vintage' and sell it. I'll take a new AJ over a vintage Martin dread anytime.

Oooohhh, I've played some Martin Dreads from the 40's and 50's that will make your hair stand on end. You hit that first chord and go "holy ****!"

Archived