Gibson Brands Forums

L7 Does this look legit?

SamBooka

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1947-Gibson-L-7-VG-W-Original-Case-/250898905577?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6abd79e9

I have nothing to do with it.. nice guitar but some things add up.. (rotting pg for example) but some of the wear looks a little forced.. never seen the made in usa stamped on a 40s intrument and the headstock is very clean .. very very clean.

Thoughts?

Looks legit to me.

I am not expert of different vintages to be able to confirm for sure the year, but the color of the finish and the grade of the wood are definitely like what is used on older vintage archtops, particularly the L-7 as opposed to the L-5.

AS for the appearance, it looks like a combination of honest wear and a highly polished and cared for deal. Old finishes can dress up real nice with the right polish, and the tailpiece looks polished to original luster as well.

Looks legit to me. The "Made in the U.S.A." stamp was used during the 30's, 40's and 50's on instruments being exported to Canada.

The wear looks pretty normal to me overall. I've seen neck wear like this before, as odd as it looks. Somebody liked to play in one general position on the neck, it appears.

Archived