Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of Sheri

slide-n-bend

I recently got the limited edition les paul custom blackback. LOVE it and, originally, I figured I might just as well sell my '98 samick natural sheraton. After playing the les paul for a while I went back to my sheri. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!? I will NEVER get rid of that guitar! I forgot what beautiful tone she has, especially from the neck pup. And that is with original '98 epiphone pup's!

Now to my point. I decided to upgrade her but with what pup's? I thought duncan seth lovers. Then, hmmm, maybe pearly gates? One of each? Or maybe a P-90 at the bridge and a seth lover at the neck? So, you see my dilema. Anybody out there have any experience with any of those pup's? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Now, since I'm still paying off the "paul" I have time to make a decision, but it's a fun quandary to be in.

I have no idea, what YOU should do! But, if it were me, I'd go

with Gibby's '57 Classic (neck), and '57 Classic Plus, in the bridge.

Along with a Switchcraft 3-way, and input jack, and CTS pots, with 50's wiring.

But, that's just "Me!"

I'm quite sure, other's here, will have a myriad of suggestions/options, as well. [biggrin]

CB

I've played both Pearly Gates and Seth Lovers....I also own P-90 guitars....

IMHO, an upgrade for a Sheri would be two Gibson '57 classics.....Everyone I know who upgrades from stock Epi PUs to Gibby '57s is stunned...

The difference is huge....Of course, the price of "57s goes up and down, and right now they are high....I own many guitars with all kinds of PUs...

But, for HB guitars, I usually use my '57 equipped HBs............

I have a 2000 Sheraton and I went 57 Classics [ Plus on the bridge ], CTS pots and Switchcraft plug & switch. Man what a transformation, at least to my ears. I was gonna' sell this one, now I could never do that.

Not being a humbucker fan I put GFS Dream 90's in my 2004 Sheraton. The tone is in the ballpark I'm after but not 'rich' enough ( I have expensive tastes in sound). So when funds allow, I will try Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens or Seymour Duncan Phat Cats, both P90's in a humbucker case.

I had a Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker recently in another guitar that was great, if you like humbuckers.

Archived