Gibson Brands Forums

Your thoughts on slope-shouldered dreads?

Jesse G

I also love the sound and looks of both my AJs (AJ200S and AJ200SCE; AKA Advance Jumbo)and I agree with your assessment. I also have a standard dreadnaught and I think the bass can be a bit over powering, but the AJs seem to be more balance. The solid tops models help produce rich tones. Which models have you tried?

I have both slope shoulder and square Dred shaped guitars. I like both for different tones and feel. I like the slope shoulder for more finger style stuff, and the square dreds for more flat picking and strumming stuff. Although I can do all of it on slope and square dreds, so.

One band member found my IB Texan "Well balanced-not too bassy",but the fiddler says "Don't sell your Blue Ridge"

I have a BR square & a BR round,one a Martin D18 sub,the other Gibson J45/AJ.I tend to use the D18 in a bluegrass band & the AJ for the Texas music band.

I have loved me some slop shoulder jumbos over the decade. While body shape certainly plays a part in producing a characteristic sound, I think the difference between a slope shoulder jumbo and dread probably has more to do with the different bracing, bridges, and so on used by the various builders than the shape of the upper bout (which comes far less into play than the area of the top below the soundhole) or waist. I think, as example, one of the reasons the 1940s Gibson LGs sound better than those that came after is that the old style rectangular bridge (which is interestingly about 3 mm thicker on the bass side than the treble side) transmitted more energy to the top than the later belly down or belly up bridges.

Archived