Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Gear Electric Strings

poopcicle

Hey everyone, I realize this may technically belong in another part of the boards but since I am using them on my Epiphones I figured I would ask for peoples experience with them? I have used the specially made for humbuckers strings on my sg and love them! I have on deck a set of vintage reissues for my es-175 and last night I put a set of brite wires on my 56 reissue gold top. So far I am not really digging the brite wire sound, I know they havn't broken in yet but what a difference, I am hoping some useage today and tomorrow will bring them around. I have not swapped in the vintage reissues yet and have no idea/expectations of what kind of sound to expect!!! any thoughts on the brite wires and vintage reissue strings? I love the masterbuilt and humbucker strings so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! If for some reason the general consensus is to look else where can anyone offe any suggestions to replace the vintage reissue and brite wires? I play for fun and in a modern /alternative original rock band so I am looking to stay some what clear of twang! [tongue] thanks for any and all help and have a great day everyone!

IMO the Brand of strings you use has little to do with your "tone".

I use several different brands and they all sound the same to me. But being that we each have different ears, it is a very subjective thing.

You don't mention what gauge of string you use. Perhaps you could try a different gauge if you haven't already done that.

I usually use Ernie Ball 10-46. But I have used many brands, and have never "heard" any difference. Now I sometimes "feel" a difference, but that is something different. However by the string feeling different, it may make you "play" different, affecting tone.

Your fingers, the wood, the pups, pup height, amp, nut, and many more things have more of an affect on tone IMO than the brand of strings.

But hey, we are all different. Good luck in your string/tone quest. [smile]

thanks for your reply, I use 10 -46 pn my Lp and Sg and 11- 50 on my es - 175, I have also used lots of strings and find little difference but I have noticed a dirtier growl out of my SGsince I switched to the specifically for Humbucker Gibson Gear strings and since I put Gibson Gear Brite Wires on my LP replacing Ernie Balls I notice a different sound also, so I am really looking for feedback based off use of the a fore mentioned strings mostly the Brite Wires due to the fact that I am not over joyed at the sound I'm getting now! The packaging may be all marketing and me hearing a dirtier sound may be placebo on the Sg as well as what I am experiencing with my Lp! I am looking to see if this experience has been shared by others!

SG- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-seg-sa10-special-alloy-humbucker-light-electric-guitar-strings/102287000000000

LP - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-g700l-light-brite-wires-electric-guitar-strings/102231000000000

Archived