Gibson Brands Forums

'61 P90 SG

SketchyEtchy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

It doesn't seem that bad for what you get to be honest. Solid mahogany right? What tuners you gonna get? I recommend the straight 3 line lime the original juniors ;)

Yep. Solid mahogany. I found a gem, I guess you could say. Even the basswood Juniors are worth $120. Finding a mahogany Jr. was icing on the cake and a very pleasant surprise.

Not sure about the tuners. I have some Gibson Deluxe green-key tulips I might put on it. They are pretty heavy though. No-go on the in-line tuners. The holes on the headstock arent in a straight line.

See I'm tempted to get one... But I got rid of my bolt neck lp junior. I put straight 3 line tuners on that, fitted perfectly. They should fit because it too was a junior model. I just think you're to chicken to try ;)!

LOL! I'll take another look at the headstock. The in-line tuners would actually be a great option to cover up the old screw holes.

If you do get a junior and you want mahogany, as far as I know its only the TV Yellows. The others are made of basswood. The best way to make sure (if you are at a store) is to compare wieghts. I'm not certain that all of the yellow Juniors are going to be mahogany...but it would be cool.

Another cool thing about these guitars is the beveling. Its at Gibon specs. Even the Special P90s dont seem to have this beveling.

I really do like those in-line tuners on the Specials. They are actually very similar ro the individual Deluxes that I have. They seem to be the in-line version of them.

I didnt realize that these were only for the US market. Maybe they will go overseas soon. None of them have shown up on Ebay yet either.

I'm not sure yet. Either the buttons or the tulips. I really like the tulips. First I have to look at the headstock again, then I have to look around and see what is available and pricing. I cant really do anything with the guitar until my daughter goes to bed, so my time is limited with it. I guess the most important thing is to put tuners on it that dont slip and will last a long time. She doesnt really know anything about Gibson or Epiphone and original specs. But the SG is her favorite body design, so she is on her way. [biggrin]

I bought a set of button non make straight 3 for 40quid including postage, designed for epi/gibson and to be honest they fitted perfectly, no hassle with them what so ever which was lucky. I just googled it but I know fleabay do cheaper for the same sort. You changing them before your daughter gets it or going to wait and ask her what design she would like. IMO buttons are the way for a junior but that's for LP so if you go for tulips on this SG you better post pics! What humbucker is it for stock? Just a crappy one?

I bought a set of button non make straight 3 for 40quid including postage, designed for epi/gibson and to be honest they fitted perfectly, no hassle with them what so ever which was lucky. I just googled it but I know fleabay do cheaper for the same sort. You changing them before your daughter gets it or going to wait and ask her what design she would like. IMO buttons are the way for a junior but that's for LP so if you go for tulips on this SG you better post pics! What humbucker is it for stock? Just a crappy one?

Those look like a really good fit. I'll have a look tonight. I'm not sure when I'm going to change them. I have almost two months, so I'm not sweating it yet. But most likely before she gets it. I'm not going to give her the choice for tuners. This is a function over form situation, so I just want something good. She has a tendency to either pick hella expensive high-end stuff or super cheap eye-candy junk. She's only 9, after all. [biggrin] I'm going to have a hard enough time convincing her that she likes the TV Yellow. She wanted the Worn Cherry, but after doing a side by side comparison, I went home with the Yellow. It was just a better guitar as far as both the body and neck (fret-ends) were concerned.

The pickup is just the stock Epiphone PUP. I dont know exactly what it is. 700T or something. Not my flavor. I dont really like the sound of ceramic magnets, but they will be just fine for her. We are concentrating on finger dexterity and muscle memory right now, so the personal taste of pickup sound is quite far away at this point.

I'll post pics when I change the tuners for sure.

Least you can teach her into choosing right and customising guitars up until she's let's say... 30? Hahahaha!

For the pickup was just wondering for when I might get one. If they turn up on the UK market seems a steal! But yeah guess for that age it doesn't overly matter on pickup.

Oh also... You can never go wrong with the TV yellow! Is this closer to TV or is it banana yellow? I know the yellow shows up different on cameras and lighting. Like my P90SG is mustard in person but on camera its either a pale yellow or like the colour posted on here.

Archived