Gibson Brands Forums

'61 P90 SG

SketchyEtchy

30?!?! You're dreaming! More like 13! If even that long. We had a little string-changing, guitar cleaning lesson the other night. I showed her how to change the strings (not that I would let her yet unsupervised) and we both cleaned up the G-310. She tackled the fretboard and did a great job. I was impressed. She got all of the finger junk off of it.

You would definitely want to change the pickup on one of these to suit your tastes. Maybe a HB sized P-90 or something. But for the money, they are great. An excellent modding platform for people like us.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha so she's you're little apprentice? Soon you won't have to worry about re stringing and cleaning you can just sit back and play.

Yeah deffo gonna get one to custom out...but got a little project going on at the moment. But all will be revealed if all being well my idea works.

Thomann has the SG Junior, but it seem that they only have the Cherry version. Maybe the TV Yellow is the US Market only Junior.

Yep, my little apprentice. For now, anyway. Her fingers hurt pretty quickly, so I have to keep her interested in other ways like cleaning and mods. I also give her free reign over the G-310 as long as she keeps her little fingers off of the pickups. They are 1979 DiMarzios and really dont belong in that guitar. But they sound so good! She is very curious.

Yeah, I have a X2N Power Plus at the bridge and a Super2 at the neck. The X2N screams like a banshee and pinched harmonics are a breeze. The Super2 is by far my favorite though. Bright, yet warm and very articulate. These pickups are made for overdiven tube amps, so as good as they sound, they could sound even better with the right rig. I play through a Fender Princeton Chorus solid state. Its a great amp, but sounds best with single coil puckups.

DiMarzios are great pickups. You should research them sometime and try to figure it out. You will probably have to pull them to see the backs, and that is no fun so I dont blame you if you decide not to [biggrin]

I also have an old Seymore Duncan Full Shred laying around that I need to install. I'm thinking about putting it in the S-500. I have a Guitar Fetish VEH (Eddie Van Halen clone) in it right now. Its ok but not quite as hot as I was expecting. It was labled as being good for laminated body guitars, so I went with it. meh.

DiMarzios are great pickups. You should research them sometime and try to figure it out. You will probably have to pull them to see the backs, and that is no fun so I dont blame you if you decide not to [biggrin]

I also have an old Seymore Duncan Full Shred laying around that I need to install. I'm thinking about putting it in the S-500. I have a Guitar Fetish VEH (Eddie Van Halen clone) in it right now. Its ok but not quite as hot as I was expecting. It was labled as being good for laminated body guitars, so I went with it. meh.

i pulled them out ages ago but they just say on the back of both Dimarzio....

You should do it, get your daughter to help out.

I actually got a chance to play one of these yesterday. It felt really well balanced to me. Granted I was sitting, and didn't have a strap to throw on it, but it did not feel neck heavy, or unbalanced, like my G-400. Otherwise the neck felt the same, size-wise.

Can't be sure I like the tone as much as the 60's tribute, but I was playing on a strange amp, so who knows. I do think I want one of these. =]

I just had one come in this week had to send it back because the bridge was off centered with the neck and the PUPS. Started to play it but thought I might get stupid and just keep it. Sounds like everyone is impressed with them . Hopefully they will send me one I can keep. How is the tone and note clarity on those things. Guess if the P-90's aren't any good always change PUPS

Really light. The finish was super smooth, too. At least compared to my G, which feels sticky. Still I prefer a satin finish, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. And at $400 it seems like a steal. Maybe by the time I can afford it I'll find a sale.

If I like it, I don't see a reason to spend twice as much on the Gibson. At least not at this point. Kind of wary of the bridge, too. Not sure why, but people seem to be critical of the wrap around. Limited adjustments or something? Idk.

If I like it, I don't see a reason to spend twice as much on the Gibson. At least not at this point. Kind of wary of the bridge, too. Not sure why, but people seem to be critical of the wrap around. Limited adjustments or something? Idk.

No individual intonation adjustment and short break angle are probably the turn-offs for some people. That can all be remedied with an aftermarket bridge, but might add up to an extra $100 to the total cost of the guitar after modding.

Really light. The finish was super smooth, too. At least compared to my G, which feels sticky. Still I prefer a satin finish, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. And at $400 it seems like a steal. Maybe by the time I can afford it I'll find a sale.

The wrap around bridge is another one of those "great divide" prefrences. Yes some people don't like them because of the lack of inotation range but some people swear that they add to the sustain and depth. I have two with wrap arounds and the inotation is spot on for both.

The wrap around bridge is another one of those "great divide" prefrences. Yes some people don't like them because of the lack of inotation range but some people swear that they add to the sustain and depth. I have two with wrap arounds and the inotation is spot on for both.

Me no likey. Not just intonation deal, that can be bettered with and after market bridge, but the way they tilt towards the neck really peeves me.

That's what the originals had, wrap-arounds. That's why Epiphone used them on this model.

Yep. Hence the "'61" prefix to the model name. However, I'm not a fan of wraparound bridges either. Give me a big chunk of metal with real saddles and fine tuners and I'm a happy camper.

One problem with wraparounds that I noticed recently on the SG Junior (and I mentioned this in the MOD thread, I believe) is that if you do a quick sloppy job of restringing before the saddle is grooved well, or get one that was strung sloppily form the factory like I did, you run the risk of throwing off the string spacing. If the strings dont come out of the bridge exactly straight upwards, the string will groove the saddle in the wrong spot. And yes, it is possible for this to happen. You would think that as the string gains tension that it will straighten itself out. But this isnt always the case. Some of the strings on the Junior were on 15 degree angles coming out of the bridge. This made the string spacing very wrong. And that is where the grooves were as well. Way off!

Just some food for thought. [biggrin]

Yep. Hence the "'61" prefix to the model name. However, I'm not a fan of wraparound bridges either. Give me a big chunk of metal with real saddles and fine tuners and I'm a happy camper.

One problem with wraparounds that I noticed recently on the SG Junior (and I mentioned this in the MOD thread, I believe) is that if you do a quick sloppy job of restringing before the saddle is grooved well, or get one that was strung sloppily form the factory like I did, you run the risk of throwing off the string spacing. If the strings dont come out of the bridge exactly straight upwards, the string will groove the saddle in the wrong spot. And yes, it is possible for this to happen. You would think that as the string gains tension that it will straighten itself out. But this isnt always the case. Some of the strings on the Junior were on 15 degree angles coming out of the bridge. This made the string spacing very wrong. And that is where the grooves were as well. Way off!

Just some food for thought. [biggrin]

I hear what your saying on this... but ive have come up with a solution.

Buy a new wraparound. :D

I hear what your saying on this... but ive have come up with a solution.

Buy a new wraparound. :D

Dont use your logic and common sense on me! [tongue]

I just want people to be aware of this little techincal problem. I would have never even thought of it had I not seen it in person on the Junior. The wraparounds end up grooving where the strings lay anyway, why not make the wraparounds pre-grooved to avoid this problem altogether?

Dont use your logic and common sense on me! [tongue]

I just want people to be aware of this little techincal problem. I would have never even thought of it had I not seen it in person on the Junior. The wraparounds end up grooving where the strings lay anyway, why not make the wraparounds pre-grooved to avoid this problem altogether?

No it is very annoying. I might just leave my strings on there for ever. Did think about making grooves...

Archived