Gibson Brands Forums

F Series Pickups

29Tudor

I'm rehabbing an older Epi SG 301, which I believe is Korean

made. The pickups have no surrounds and are marked F Epiphone.

Is there anything different about these or are they standard?

I heard Gibson made them before operations went to China.

BTW, this guitar has a real sweet neck.

Any serial number on it, or other labelling?

Until recently, the only Asian Epis with Gibson USA pickups were the Japanese-made Elite / Elitist models. Those pickups were made by Gibson in the USA, but stamped "Epiphone USA".

All the Korean ones had cheap local copies. More recently, some of the more expensive models being built in China have had Gibson USA pickups. I don't think Epiphone have ever put USA pickups in a G310, which has always been a low budget beginners model.

Thanks for the response. No other markings on the pu's

except for F Epiphone (epi in script.) I should have

the rewiring done today so I'll see how it sounds. It

has crapola pots, but the owner doesn't want to spend

the money for new ones as he is going to sell it.

I think those were just the "open-coil Epiphone pickups" that preceded the the 700/650 combo. "F" should stand for "front". I have one from a LP Junior that says "R" for "rear". My early model G-310 came with covered Vantage pickups with clear bobbin covers. They were terrible.

Ummmmmmmm, Folks - this is going to be so obvious it ain't even

funny. I SWEAR that after going thru I don't remember HOW MANY Epi

Pups in various projects, there actually should be a Pup marked "F", and

A Pup marked "R" in each git that is labeled that way.

Wanna bet BOTH "F" pups have same pole spacing?

Wanna bet they're both about the same resistance value?

F = FRONT (NECK)

R = REAR (BRIDGE)

It's done so the ASSEMBLERS know WHERE each pickup should go in the Gits...

Copyof100_0451.jpg

Usually the F labeled on a PU is the pole spacing.If you order a new pickup for a fender guitar you have to order an F spaced PU I believe it means the poles/strings are spaced for a Fender guitar,most other guitars are standard spaced.I dont know if that is what your F means or your Epi is string spaced differently than a regular Epi or Gibson,Just an idea.If you look under the select a style of this Dimarizo PU from MF and you can see you have a choice to order it regular or F spaced for a Fender string spaced guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-dp155-tone-zone-humbucker-pickup

Usually the F labeled on a PU is the pole spacing.If you order a new pickup for a fender guitar you have to order an F spaced PU I believe it means the poles/strings are spaced for a Fender guitar,most other guitars are standard spaced.I dont know if that is what your F means or your Epi is string spaced differently than a regular Epi or Gibson,Just an idea.If you look under the select a style of this Dimarizo PU from MF and you can see you have a choice to order it regular or F spaced for a Fender string spaced guitar.

http://www.musicians...umbucker-pickup

Not in this case. Its Front and Rear. Animalfarm is most likely right about the pole spacing and resistance values. Though, if that is the case, marking them for the assemblers seems kind of pointless. There is probably a small difference in resistance between the front and rear pickups. Besides, G-310s arent f-spaced. I'm not even sure that Epiphone bothers to install f-spaced pickups on their Floyd Rose LP models. I have never seen them advertised as such.

I have a few F-spaced pickups and none of them are marked as such.

Ummmmmmmm, Folks - this is going to be so obvious it ain't even

funny. I SWEAR that after going thru I don't remember HOW MANY Epi

Pups in various projects, there actually should be a Pup marked "F", and

A Pup marked "R" in each git that is labeled that way.

Wanna bet BOTH "F" pups have same pole spacing?

Wanna bet they're both about the same resistance value?

F = FRONT (NECK)

R = REAR (BRIDGE)

It's done so the ASSEMBLERS know WHERE each pickup should go in the Gits...

Not in this case. Its Front and Rear. Animalfarm is most likely right about the pole spacing and resistance values. Though, if that is the case, marking them for the assemblers seems kind of pointless. There is probably a small difference in resistance between the front and rear pickups. Besides, G-310s arent f-spaced. I'm not even sure that Epiphone bothers to install f-spaced pickups on their Floyd Rose LP models. I have never seen them advertised as such.

I have a few F-spaced pickups and none of them are marked as such.

Just found this old thread from OCTOBER 2009 about same topic...

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/48216-epiphone-pickup-question-i-do-not-have-the-answer-to-help/

Both PU's are stamped with the F. The bridge PU may be a replacement

because the lead was VERY short. Got it running, sounds awful, doesn't

feel right in the hands. Student guitar with a nice neck, not worth

electronic and PU upgrades.

Tweed2-I also drive a 1999 F-150, great truck!

Archived