Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Parts for Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Abyssium

need/want to replace tailbar, bridge and nut for better parts.

its an Epiphone Les Paul Standard - from 96 ( i think)

serial can maybe shed some light on it (dont worry wont post the whole thing) S 601#### (says made in Korea on the back)(from what i understood from the serial post, its a Samick Korea)

the parts i want replaced is:

the stop tailbar piece ( says Jin Ah on the back)( looks shabby)

the bridge (also says Jin Ah on the back) (getting a bit worn and shabby)

the nut

the nut has started to make some of the strings buzz, so i want to change that to something better possibly bone or graphite ? or something else...

(also need to know how to change it... loosen the nut etc.)

now what i want to know:

what parts do you recommend and which ones will fit(measurement etc)?

im keeping it tremelo free... and want to go with the stop tailbar tunomatic style bridge( or atleast something compatible with the guitar as is , no drilling new holes and such.

Also much appreciated would be if its was possible to get all of this from the same store (online) (shipping international)

before someone says anything about making it sound better : I realize this wont do that much for the sound of the guitar,i have already changed the pickups to seymour duncan -seth lover model (bridge) and seymour duncan pearly gates (neck)

Any help would be much appreciated :)

ps. also options would be nice... like in different price ranges :)

im a total noob when it comes to parts ...

Abyssium,

First....

Welcome to the Forum!

Next... Measure your center to center post distance. For instance, are the bridge posts centers 74mm or 72mm? Let us know.

(Obviously, I am not very familiar with LPs from the 90s.)

You say international shipping. To where?

In the mean time have a look around here:

http://www.stewmac.com/

You might also find some points of interest around here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

Willy

thank you for the warm welcome :)

international shipping like ... Norway

the center stuff...hm ... ill try to make some measurements in the morning (3.27 am right now)

thanks for the links and info so far :)

i will get back to you on the measurements and various things i find out

speaking of measurements ... exactly how do i measure that ? :S

its so easy be off with 2mm ... is it from the edge of the post-holes ?

just want to be very thorough and make sure i get it right

Also ... im a southpaw ...

so my guitars are lefthanded ... will this give me some challenges ? :S

Abyssium,

As to the measurements. A metal engineer's scale is a good investment for guitar work.

They are usually available at hardware stores and office supply stores. (at least around here...not sure in Norway)

6inchlg.jpg

I usually measure from the 1 cm or 1" mark, depending on what is needed. I just don't trust the first few marks on any ruler.

As to centers. The studs are the same size from right to left. In other words, the left bridge stud is the same size as the right bridge stud. The cap on the left tail piece stud is the same size as the right tail piece stud.

Thus, measuring from left outside to right inside (or visa-verse) will give you a pretty good measurement without having to guess where the exact centers are.

If that is not clear it is probably my poor explanation and I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. (It is 2:30 am here)

As to right and left. It should make no difference with the tailpiece on a Les Paul.

As to bridge.

It will not make a difference with most bridges on a Les Paul as long as the saddle slots are not completely notched. In most cases a new bridge comes with either no slots in the saddles or very small starter slots only.

They can then be adjusted with a small file. Right or left would then be determined by you.

A main consideration is that Les Pauls have a 12" radius fret board. You would want a bridge or tailpiece to match that radius.

The nut is a different story. You would need a left handed nut. If you make a bone nut from scratch then you would, of course, make it for a left handed guitar.

Many member here, including myself like Tusq nuts. They are a high temperature, high pressure, synthetic ivory. Many dealers world wide carry or can order them.

(Buying directly from Graph Tech can be a bit expensive if you are not a dealer) On the other hand it is often a one time shot.

Graph Tech:

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html

The 6060 series of nuts are for Epiphones. They come in Tusq, Tusq XL, and Trem nuts (black). Most, if not all, are available in left or right. Look for the L in the serial number.

Example:

http://www.graphtech.com/product-655-2/

The nice thing about the Tusq nuts is that normally you only need to sand the bottoms to get close to the right fit.

Once that fit is achieved the slots usually need only minor adjustment if any at all. The top can then be sanded down to the correct sting exposure and polished to look like ivory.

As to removing the old nut, check Animalfarm's DIY at the top of the Epiphone Lounge.

Personally, I use an Exacto blade to carefully score around the nut. (remove truss rod cover first)

I then tap it very lightly from the sides with a nail set and the handle of a small screwdriver used as a hammer. (unless you have a very small hammer)

I know there is a video around here somewhere. Maybe someone will put it up for you.

The only other considerations I can think of right now (I'm only half awake) is if you wanted to change out any electronics. The switch and jack are universal. Potentiometers (volume and tone controls) can be bought for left or right.

I'll try to get back later with pics on measuring if my explanation was as poor as it seems to me.

Hope this helps get you started. Keep us informed and ask all the questions you want.

Hopefully other members will give more and better info.

Willy

Willy, your description of how to measure center to center was right on the money. Not bad for 230 am.

Just to be clear. Place your ruler on the left side of the left hole. Measure to the left side of the right hole.

I've used the Gotoh aluminum bridge and tail piece on my latest build. Very nice bridge. Worth the extra money.

Archived