Gibson Brands Forums

I'm starting to question Gibson...

dem00n

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok My experience with a premium 5 star Gibson Dealer.

1st purchase was a custom shop Beale st blue 335 only 1 in the country for 2008. When I looked it over it was immaculate. it took me 3 months of seeing it twice a week before I pulled the pin and bought it. The whole time it had been hanging on the wall in the store. I talked them down from 6800.00 to 4700.00 when I got it home my heart sank up by the neck angle where it had hung the paint was gone someone had re hung it and striped a bit of paint off.

I called them immediately. returned with it. they took it straight to a repair agent who had it fixed and re nitro'd in 7 days. (you cant see any flaws) Who's fault was it Mine and the Dealers both for not noticing it.

2nd guitar was a Gibson Songwriter. About 5 months of having it I noticed that by the cut away right on the binding edge the top was thinner and actually sunken into the body not level with the binding. I took it back. they asked if I thought it affected the sound I said no. They offered me a better discount on my next guitar recorded the fault with Gibson and said if it gets worse they will swap it for a new one.

3rd Guitar a LP Standard. I ordered a DB in as they dont usually hold them in stock. 12 weeks later it came in they called me and opened it out of the carton in front of me. They checked over every inch. even allowing me to "pop its cherry" with its first plug in. lol. they then went over it again with a second sales guy looking for blemishes. all good no issues.

4th LP Trad. I saw it come out of the box and onto the floor a young work experience guy put it straight out. I took it off the floor and sorted a price and bought it. As I was getting it put into the case the sales guys noticed 2 of the tone knobs had slight cracks in them. they then got new knobs and completely set up the guitar. knowing that if something hit the guitar hard enough to crack the knobs then the intonation would be out.

5th LP jr Special Exclusive. now even though this is the cheapest of the lot I didnt expect it to have issues. I knew its the only one like it in Adelaide so I played it liked it and even though the bodies a bit lumpy I took it. yes it has some quality issues but none that affect the playability of the guitar nor the sound. The store knows about the bodies roughness and if it gets any worse ( I dont know how it physically could ) they will order in a new one and send this one back.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer dont rush the guitar and play the one that speaks to you. I dont think you can go wrong.

.... If you have a good relationship with your dealer dont rush the guitar and play the one that speaks to you. I dont think you can go wrong.

Glad you bought a lot of guitars and were pleased. When buying Gibson it's good to have a certain amount of tolerance for minor cosmetic issues - you seem to have that well covered.

That really doesn't address the impression some of these issues leaves on customers with limited experience. Here's a guy posting today in the Hollow/Semi subform - 4 ES-339 in row all returned. Talk about bad luck (he might be a tad picky). Maybe you can guess where his attitude is. Here's the thread - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/75795-help-4-bad-es-339-in-a-row/

Glad you bought a lot of guitars and were pleased. When buying Gibson it's good to have a certain amount of tolerance for minor cosmetic issues - you seem to have that well covered.

That really doesn't address the impression some of these issues leaves on customers with limited experience. Here's a guy posting today in the Hollow/Semi subform - 4 ES-339 in row all returned. Talk about bad luck (he might be a tad picky). Maybe you can guess where his attitude is. Here's the thread - http://forum.gibson....s-339-in-a-row/

Yeah I already commented. Not sure if its a troll to flame the forum. I played 2 yesterday and they were on par with the Billy Gibbons which is a 18k guitar. both beautiful with no flaws at all.

Archived