Gibson Brands Forums

1984-85 Explorer

carv3r

Here is my go to.

i have been playing this guitar for 17 years.. and have loved it ever since the beginning.

In this picture its all stock with the old original dirty fingers p ups in there.. those have been swapped out for some dimarzio sd's love the sound but thinking about changin over to a less high out put p up

i love the kahler. those rollers will treat you well if you keep them clean.

i love to play this guitar. the ebony board and the way it sits have kept me coming back to it no matter how many strats or lespauls i end up with this is the guitar i always reach for.

HPIM1829.jpg

Hey there, welcome to the forums. That is a killer Explorer. My favorite thing is how you've worn through the finish by the bridge pup from playing it so much. I have a spot like that on the neck of my SG. Good stuff. [thumbup]

i love this guitar man. we almost share the same birthdate, off by 1 year a few months and 9 days hahaha.

the wear on it is something i didnt even really notice.. hard to think that but its true. one day you just notice that you wore a hole in the finish. hehe the back has a huge spot from buckle rash.. as ive had thins gutiar for 17 years its seen my stupid large belt buckle phaze.. haha also where the arm rests its almost concaved now and super comfortable. i tried a new exp a little while ago and thats when i noticed the difference.

awesome guitars that stand the test of time.

love that ebony fret board.

Great guitar man!

I've got a '85 White Explorer with tailpiece. She turned to a nice yellow and i love that colour but, to be onest, i really prefear it in black. Yours is amazing!

Mine has been hardly played from the previous owners and the finish on the neck in some place il visibly thinner and more white.

Can i ask what kind of wood is your Explorer made of (body, neck and board)?

Thanks in advance :)

sure thing!

Alder body , Maple Neck, Ebony board.

i love the alder tones you can get, very rich sound, not as thick as the mahagony we all love but still very well voiced i find.

thanks for the comments.

i love the aged white look.. so nice. but the black is where it is at for me.

i bet that mahogony sounds heavy man. [biggrin]

Sure man!

mine was made in 1983 and has 3 in a row(traditional, 76' style) control knobs. Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fret board.

Wow, another woods combo here :)

Is she an Explorer E2? Post a pic please!

Waiting for the picture man [thumbup]

Here are a couple of pics...My photo skills are lacking. I am 100% sure the body is mahogany and as you can tell by the finish removal on the neck it is maple and rosewood fret board. Great player and was my number 1 for a good while. Also, hard to see in the pic but the Kahler is stud mounted and is NOT labeled Gibson. It says Kahler U.S.A. and "D.S.PAT. APPL'D. FOR".

006-2.jpg

005.jpg

hotrod

nice explorer man i love the scratchplate on that one.

ive also removed the finish on my explorers neck. exposing the maple then waxing it down. i love the feeling of a natural neck

same here. I sanded mine down all the way to 1500 grit then 0000 steel wool. Then rubbed in several coats of oil buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats. It is smooth and very slick.

hotrod

same here. I sanded mine down all the way to 1500 grit then 0000 steel wool. Then rubbed in several coats of oil buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats. It is smooth and very slick.

hotrod

what kind of oil. thinking about sanding the neck of my melody maker... wanna do this right!

what kind of oil. thinking about sanding the neck of my melody maker... wanna do this right!

What I used was Watco Danish Oil finish in natural(no tint or dyes). Can be bought at any Lowe's or Home Depot home improvement stores in the USA. Works great. A lot of people also use boiled linseed oil or Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil made for gun stocks. I have heard both work great as well. I just chose the Watco for my needs myself.

hotrod

I swapped out the original pots today... my volumes were 300k and my tone was 100k.... i was really shocked that i had never thought to check that out before.. any way. i dropped in two 500k cts pots for volume and a 500k pot with a capacitor for tone. and Wow,.. brought the guitar to life.. something i used to always have to use a 7band to get out of it. now its right there., just a little more brightness and a little more clarity,.. awesome stuff.

had to share.

I swapped out the original pots today... my volumes were 300k and my tone was 100k.... i was really shocked that i had never thought to check that out before.. any way. i dropped in two 500k cts pots for volume and a 500k pot with a capacitor for tone. and Wow,.. brought the guitar to life.. something i used to always have to use a 7band to get out of it. now its right there., just a little more brightness and a little more clarity,.. awesome stuff.

had to share.

Was the tone rated at 100K or had it dropped to that? Either way, congrats on bringing it back up to par. I bet it rocks!!! Very nice Explorer BTW

hotrod

Was the tone rated at 100K or had it dropped to that? Either way, congrats on bringing it back up to par. I bet it rocks!!! Very nice Explorer BTW

hotrod

it was all original in there. they just used a 100k tone pot. kinda strange i thought. but once i noticed it i jumped online and searched around and have found some other people bishin about it as well, and when i went in to the shop to buy the parts i told the guys what i was doing and one of them peaks up from the back and says "you have a mid 80's explorer or V dont you" and we all kinda chuckled.

any way. i say if you have an older explorer check it out.. who knows. i know the 500k pots made a huge difference in the way this guitar breaks down the pickups input.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived