Gibson Brands Forums

Help with identification

geebake

I was hoping someone here might be able to help with this.

My local Guitar Center has an SG that I've very interested in but I can't identify it.

It seems to be of the Standard family. Has block inlays and a bound neck. It is the standard cherry color.

It has two open coil humbuckers - zebras.

It has factory coil taps.

It has what I would think is a 60s slimmer taper neck.

I am familiar with the current Standard w/coil taps, but to my knowledge, it hasn't been made in this color and should have covered pickups, nor should that have a slimmer neck.

I believe they have it mislabeled and I don't know what it should actually cost.

Thanks for any insight!

Greg

Sounds like a "Guitar Center SG Standard Special Edition w/Coil Taps", and it's yet another in a long series of Gibsons built for GC to their specs. It should be priced very close to a regular SG Standard. The Guitar Centers here in Denver have several of these in stock, as well as some new SG Standards in Vintage Sunburst and Natural Burst.

Sounds like a "Guitar Center SG Standard Special Edition w/Coil Taps", and it's yet another in a long series of Gibsons built for GC to their specs. It should be priced very close to a regular SG Standard. The Guitar Centers here in Denver have several of these in stock, as well as some new SG Standards in Vintage Sunburst and Natural Burst.

Thanks for the input. That sounds like a reasonable explanation. Naturally, there seem to be no specs to be found anywhere. Any idea what the pickups in these things are?

Thanks again,

Greg

Hi, I have the sg you are talking about. I'm not 100% sure myself what the pickups are in it because I have never taken it apart to see what pickups are inside but from the research that I've done they probably are burstbuckers 1 & 3. I also have a regular standard sg which has the 490R/498T configuration and I compared both guitars the pickups sound different from both sg's.

It also should cost $1299.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I really liked it and they are asking $1299. Of course, I'm trying to get them to go way down from that.

I take it you're happy with it?

I have a LP Traditional Pro with a 57 Classic and BB3 and coil splits and I absolutely love it. I realize this wouldn't sound the same, but seems like a good combo.

Thanks,

Greg

I actually didn't pay $1299, I had one of those 15% off coupons and used that towards it. It might be a good idea to wait for one of those sales which they usually have alot of during the year. I'm happy with it, no problems. I'm not sure if I totally like the pickups, i might swap em' out for something else down the road but it's a great deal. What really got my attention about it was the darker cherry finish, I believe the real name for the finish color is "vintage cherry".

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I really liked it and they are asking $1299. Of course, I'm trying to get them to go way down from that.

I take it you're happy with it?

I have a LP Traditional Pro with a 57 Classic and BB3 and coil splits and I absolutely love it. I realize this wouldn't sound the same, but seems like a good combo.

Thanks,

Greg

That's what mine was listed on the wall as in the 2010 GC run, I walked out the door with it for a grand.

That's what mine was listed on the wall as in the 2010 GC run, I walked out the door with it for a grand.

That's exactly what I'm trying to pay. This one has been on the floor for a while and has a bruise here and there. They won't budge though. They'll go to $1,100 but won't come down to a grand. I really liked it but I don't think I'll pay $1,100 for one that is essentially used.

Greg

That's exactly what I'm trying to pay. This one has been on the floor for a while and has a bruise here and there. They won't budge though. They'll go to $1,100 but won't come down to a grand. I really liked it but I don't think I'll pay $1,100 for one that is essentially used.

Greg

Mine was still in the box when I paid a grand... I wouldn't pay that much for a beat up floor model. I would walk away from that one. You can probably find some used ones for much cheaper.

Mine was still in the box when I paid a grand... I wouldn't pay that much for a beat up floor model. I would walk away from that one. You can probably find some used ones for much cheaper.

I agree and I did walk. I can't find another one like it anywhere though. Can't find a hint of a used one.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived