Gibson Brands Forums

Does this indeed look like a '73 LP standard?

63ac30

Hi all, total Les Paul newbie here. This example is being advertised as a '73 standard. I could use some help with confirmation. I've asked for a serial number although I relaize that doesn't hold a lot of water.

Can anyone discern anything from the few pictures?

Is the trussrod cover the wrong script for the year? Should the pickups be covered?

Asking price is $2700 obo

Thanks!

post-27337-097130400 1319912205_thumb.jpg

post-27337-038718100 1319912211_thumb.jpg

post-27337-041164500 1319912216_thumb.jpg

post-27337-088128000 1319912221_thumb.jpg

The pics aren't that great, but it does look very much like what SHOULD be a '73 era Gibby from the headstock shape as well as the color.

What is impossible to tell from the pics is if it is a STANDARD or a DELUXE that has been routed to take humbuckers.

I could be wrong, but I THINK Standards may go for more than Deluxes. 2700 bucks seems a little on the high side for what I know.

If he is asking a premium for it because it is a Standard, then I think a little more proof would be in order, because I think Deluxes routed for humbuckers are more common than actual Standards.

Eiether way, 2700 bucks is not a "player" price, but a premium. You can get a lot of LP's for that price new and much less used. So, if it IS priced that way because it is felt to be somewhat collectable, it MUST BE ALL ORIGIONAL, with NO mods or ANY kind.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. If the owner replies with more details I'll post them. I thought it was high in price as well.

cheers

The pics aren't that great, but it does look very much like what SHOULD be a '73 era Gibby from the headstock shape as well as the color.

What is impossible to tell from the pics is if it is a STANDARD or a DELUXE that has been routed to take humbuckers.

I could be wrong, but I THINK Standards may go for more than Deluxes. 2700 bucks seems a little on the high side for what I know.

If he is asking a premium for it because it is a Standard, then I think a little more proof would be in order, because I think Deluxes routed for humbuckers are more common than actual Standards.

Eiether way, 2700 bucks is not a "player" price, but a premium. You can get a lot of LP's for that price new and much less used. So, if it IS priced that way because it is felt to be somewhat collectable, it MUST BE ALL ORIGIONAL, with NO mods or ANY kind.

I agree with Stein! A lot could be going on beneath the pickups and routes. I would want to see pics of those areas and the control cavity. It IS pricey, BUT looks period. The pics are not the best, though. Get more before you pull the trigger!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived