Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Tuners?

John1234

It will require some modding of some sort....( Short version ).......View what StewMac says on their site.......

IMHO, either accept the minor mods, or replace your Klusons with new Klusons......

Myself, I have no prob modding any guitars except my investment guitars......

It will require some modding of some sort....( Short version ).......View what StewMac says on their site.......

IMHO, either accept the minor mods, or replace your Klusons with new Klusons......

Myself, I have no prob modding any guitars except my investment guitars......

Thanks for the reply Damian.

I have no problem modding it I just don't think replacing machine heads should be this big of an ordeal... I'm more concerned with someone cracking my headstock than anything (which I've heard happen to others online). Maybe the Klusons aren't as bad as I thought lol.

Ya know John, I'm no fan of Klusons, but I don't want to mod my higher end Gibbies....IMHO Grovers are much better tuners....It's not that hard to replace tuners...

It takes some research, and careful slow workmanship....There's always the differences between metric and American Standard....ie, bridges and tail pieces

are all over the map from a parts perspective...Heck, I have all kinds of parts that don't fit what I bought them for....I THINK, not fully sure John, that some

careful widening of stock SG holes will allow a nice Grover fit......The screw holes are usually different.....Oh !!!!! Check the Epiphone Lounge; at the top

there's a pinned thread containing all kinds of DIY info............

Important part of opening up the holes in your headstock are to get the right tool for the job. Do not try to run the right size drill bit through it, get a reamer and hand fit the tuners to the hole. Stewmac sells the tools for the job also if you can not find them local.

Important part of opening up the holes in your headstock are to get the right tool for the job. Do not try to run the right size drill bit through it, get a reamer and hand fit the tuners to the hole. Stewmac sells the tools for the job also if you can not find them local.

Agree 100% Use a wood reamer but be careful with it to, they can grab and splinter if you are not careful.

I have also found that a piece of wooden dowel rod chucked in a cordless drill that is just slightly bigger than the existing hole and big enough to fit the tuner will ream the hole very cleanly with little worry of splintering. Just taper the end of the dowel a little so it guides in well. Also rubbing some bar soap or wax on the dowel will prevent it from sticking.

Sounds strange but has had the best results of everything I have ever tried...... The friction and grain of the wood bores and kinda burns the hole so it is not ragged looking and has a polished look.

If you want to get real tricky you can bore out just wide and deep enough from the back so the base of the tuner fits in and then bore in from the front just wide enough for the washer nut sleeve to fit in. This way if you ever want to put the original style back on the hole in the front of the peg head won't be to big to be covered by the original size washer and nut.

Andy

Archived