Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Acoustic

DPhillips

A few years ago, Gibson introduced the Les Paul acoustic, and it seems, dropped it from their lineup shortly thereafter. Can anyone tell me about that particular guitar? Anyone that played it, how it sounded, was it a good idea or ????

Thanks for your consideration

I remember taking a look at one at a NAMM show in Florida back in 2001 - 2002 (?) It was beautiful to behold, but not your conventional flattop acoustic guitar, and doesn't sound like one. Looked like a Les Paul w/out pickups, basically. Had a neat bridge and internal electronics, baffled interior and a flamy-type curled finish. Never seen a bridge like that before, very unique and colorful, good contrasts with the finish. Sounded rather tinny to me. Not what you would expect when strumming something labeled 'Gibson Les Paul Acoustic'.

I remember being distracted by the Montana hanging next to it, so I wasn't really paying much attention to it :-s

Thanks JLW,

I had read where these guitars weren't designed to be an electric acoustic, but to be a very clean electric, basically for fill/strum rhythm work.

Curious to why they had such a short life at Gibson and if anyone had a chance to noodle around with tone/depth sound potential.

I can't remember what the original MSRP was, but remember them being rather spendy.

Was wondering how they would sound for blues/slide/folk work.

The one in the bottom picture was mine........

thecollection3057.jpg

They are fun guitars with a really cool vibe to them......the downside is you have to play one thru a very,very clean amp/acoustic amp or the sound board/PA.......they sound the best very clean.

I highly suggest one.

My old one is for sale again on EBay right now.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180299457511

What's the sound like? Like a super clean LP, or clean strat, J200 with a pickup, Hummingbird, ??? Flat, throaty, tinny, full, SST, jumbo????

It's a bit of coin to not be able to hear or play, but I'm more likely to see palm trees than one of those here in Alaska...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Archived