Gibson Brands Forums

Any Epiphone Frontier owners ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Okay...Gibson Bozeman actually made a Frontier, Excellente, and a Texan , far better Guitars.. I remember owning a Excellente , and a Frontier... Nice guitars... I used to have a mid 60s Frontier,. it had Bad Binding issues..

I owned one many years ago - a late 50s model before all of the bling was added. It had a French Heel cherry neck so I always assumed it was a leftover Epi neck on a Gibson-built body. Back then you could pick them up used for pocket change.

The Epi Frontier was Gibson's first square shoulder dread and with its maple body and 25 1/2" scale was pretty much the prototype for the Hummingbird. I recall thinking it was a great strummer and flatpicker but I never cottoned to it for fingerpicking which is why I ended up trading it for somethinge else.

I had 2 of the 60's model with natural top & standard Epi pickguard.Nice guitars,but the neck was too skinny.

I bought a Korean on the 'phone when they were first launched-big mistake!

Then one day scrolling through a dealer's list on Favourites he had a '62 with the wider neck & the rope'n'cactus pickguard & at a good price.I 'phoned & put down a deposit immediately.

This is now my favorite guitar-I have newer Gibson & Martin guitars,but the Frontier has got soul!

It's loud & punchy like a Dove,but with a tone only years of playing can bring.

IF YOU CAN GET ONE-DO!!!

Here is a site >>> Vintage Catalogs <<< with scans of vintage catalogs. It has the '61, '62, '63, and '64 catalogs.

Back in '61, they had the 'Frontier', square shouldered, maple backed/sided Dreadnought and the 'Texan' a round shouldered, mahogany backed/sided Jumbo.

In the later catalogs they offered a few more versions of the square shouldered dread.

Usually, in Epiphone parlance 'select' as in 'select maple' means laminated (plywood).

Archived