Gibson Brands Forums

You know this guitar?

Steven Tari

No idea.

I will say, however, that it's definitely not a nylon string guitar. I say this because the bridge has holes and pins, which are used to hold strings with ball-ends, and nylon strings are plain-ended, and are intended to be knotted behind holes in the bridge, as opposed to being fastened with pins. I know, the slotted headstock is deceptive, but I think the bridge is good enough evidence that it uses strings with ball ends.

...Unless there are ball-ended nylon strings somewhere out there that I don't know about? It is a definite possibility.

EDIT: I've done some research and apparently there are ball-ended nylon strings out there. D'addario and Dean Markley both make them. However, they seem like very recent developments, and seeing as how that guitar has been around since the early years of the Viet Nam War (or earlier,) I find it unlikely that it was designed for ball-ended nylons.

No idea.

I will say, however, that it's definitely not a nylon string guitar. I say this because the bridge has holes and pins, which are used to hold strings with ball-ends, and nylon strings are plain-ended, and are intended to be knotted behind holes in the bridge, as opposed to being fastened with pins. I know, the slotted headstock is deceptive, but I think the bridge is good enough evidence that it uses strings with ball ends.

...Unless there are ball-ended nylon strings somewhere out there that I don't know about? It is a definite possibility.

EDIT: I've done some research and apparently there are ball-ended nylon strings out there. D'addario and Dean Markley both make them. However, they seem like very recent developments, and seeing as how that guitar has been around since the early years of the Viet Nam War (or earlier,) I find it unlikely that it was designed for ball-ended nylons.

right on the money.

there are tons of slotted headstock regular acoustics, and I think they look bad *** as hell, but they are a pain in the *** to deal with for steel string acoustics, so I don't plan on getting one until I get a guitar tech, or just decide that I can prick my hands with strings a lot

Archived