Gibson Brands Forums

AJ100 vs AJ220S

Bill53

I'm a little confused as to what the differwence is between the AJ100 and the AJ220S. AJ100 has a select spruce top where the AJ220 has a solid sitka top. Epiphone says they both improve with age and playing. Why buy the AJ220S over the AS100? Thanks for any help.

Sound. It's all about sound and the difference a solid top will product vs a select top (laminate). Now unless your sit down and play the two guitars side by side you might not notice the difference. Additionally the AJ100 has different tuners than the AJ220s; the latter being better. Now what are the negatives of a solid top: you'll have to be more aware of the humidity with a solid top. Not to say laminate tops aren't affected by humidity, but they are a little more robust. Other than those things mention I believe everything else is the same between the two guitars. I would recommend reading the reviews on line for both guitars you may see something else there that will help you. Hope that helps, good luck.

Why buy the AJ220S over the AS100?

Simply because of the solid top on the AJ220S. There's no doubt that a laminate bodied guitar can sound great in it's own right but a solid top will almost always sound better. The best part about a solid top guitar though is over time the wood will age and start sounding so much better. I know with my Yamaha FG750 when I bought it there was a difference between mine and the other lines (730,720) but it wasn't huge.. but now that it's after aging over the years it sounds so much better than the 750s hanging on the wall. The new guitars almost sound sterile in comparison. Get the solid top you won't regret it.

• 3 months later...

I've played for 30 years. I just bought an AJ220sce. I wanted a knock around guitar because I own many fine guitars inc. Martin and Taylor high end $3000.00 guitars. so i bought this epi (solid top) and am simply amazed at the sound and quality. I love it. Probably for the first time in my life I feel like I have not been ripped off by guitar makers who boast fabulous guitars at horrendous prices. This guitar is a gem. You may need a set up, even switch to bone saddle and nut....but by God, you'll save $3000 and pay only $300 and get a really darn good sounding guitar. Get the solid top, it will sound far better. Learn how to humidify it with a guitar damper in the case..easy...add a little digital hygrometer inside to keep it between 45 and 50% humidity and your good to go! YEEEEHAAAAAAAAA! I FINALLY got a great guitar for $299 instead of $3000!!! Thank you EPI!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I too played a AJ200S the other week after watching the promo video. It was great straight off the hanger in the shop, for the price it was pretty good. In fact the shop Mngr concurred, said he had one at home and couldn't fault it for what it was.

For the price, I nearly bought it, but couldn't begin to even think up what story to tell my wife! al the best, Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I too played a AJ200S the other week after watching the promo video. It was great straight off the hanger in the shop, for the price it was pretty good. In fact the shop Mngr concurred, said he had one at home and couldn't fault it for what it was.

For the price, I nearly bought it, but couldn't begin to even think up what story to tell my wife! al the best, Mike

MikeC...perhaps you could teach your wife to play the guitar, then you could start buying her guitars, and you could play them! ...GAS is a terrible thing..lol!

Aside from the tuners, the 220 has a compensated saddle, and I believe that the 100 does not. As well, the 220 has a satin finished neck with binding and multi-ply body binding. There may be other slight cosmetic differences.

There is, of course, laminate and there is laminate. There is the good stuff meaning several layers of evenly sliced layers of the same wood glued together and then there is the other stuff - a nice top layer over some el cheapo filler stuff.

Despite the fact that the stiffer laminate top would have to have an impact on sound, I gotta admit that if you blindfolded me and, I am guessing a whole lot of pickers, it would be tough to pick out a well built laminate top guitar from a herd of different solid top guitars by sound. Main difference is that years down the road a guitar with laminate top will pretty much sound just like it did when brand spanking new. The sound of a a solid top guitar, which is more susceptible to humidity and temperature, may very well change gradually. Other than that it comes down to tradition and aesthetics.

Archived