Gibson Brands Forums

Roller bridge for an SG

EVOL!

I have come to see the light. After years of shunning roller saddle bridges I had a Wilkinson Locking Roller Bridge installed on my SG Special. Wow. The tuning stability increase has made me a believer.

Now I want to put a roller bridge on my SG Classic and, if I can avoid it, I like to find one that is a direct replacement for the Nashville bridge. Do they make one? The tech that installed the Wilkinson had to drill out new holes for the posts. My SG Special is Frankensteined so I don't mind ripping into it. My SG Classic is anther story.

And, yes, both SGs have Bigsbys.

EVOL, I'm not sure about a direct replacement.....I was able to fit the Wilkinson roller bridge on the Wilkinson posts directly into the stock holes in my SG...

Yeah, the specs are different........May I ask, did you have to alter how the ground wire grounds ?? The wire that goes to the now filled in hole

in your SG, or is it just fine ??? ( Thanks )........

EVOL, I'm not sure about a direct replacement.....I was able to fit the Wilkinson roller bridge on the Wilkinson posts directly into the stock holes in my SG...

Yeah, the specs are different........May I ask, did you have to alter how the ground wire grounds ?? The wire that goes to the now filled in hole

Not sure on the ground wire. I had a tech install the Bigbsys so I don't know what he did with it. The guitars don't hum like there's a bad ground so he obviously re-attached it.

Have you tried the Schaller roller bridge? I have one and it's amazingly useful, it even lets you change string spacing and also looks great, mine is gold and I've been using it for 7 years, the finish hasn't started to fade away yet. It also came with adapters to fit inside the original bridge studs.

I think the best way to ground your bigsbyfied SG would be to pull out the bushing (where the bridge posts screw in) nearest where it would normally ground inthe tailpiece stud and drill a hole to route the ground wire to contact the bridge bushing/post. If the ground is connected to the bridge, the strings will contact the bigsby and tuners, etc and ground them.

An easier but less aesthetically pleasing option would be to run a wire from the grounded tailpiece hole across the top of your guitar to either a bridge post or the bigsby itself.

I think the best way to ground your bigsbyfied SG would be to pull out the bushing (where the bridge posts screw in) nearest where it would normally ground inthe tailpiece stud and drill a hole to route the ground wire to contact the bridge bushing/post. If the ground is connected to the bridge, the strings will contact the bigsby and tuners, etc and ground them.

An easier but less aesthetically pleasing option would be to run a wire from the grounded tailpiece hole across the top of your guitar to either a bridge post or the bigsby itself.

Ah !!!!! Thank you Dub, greatly.......I was wondering about this potential option.....Fantastic.....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ......

Have you tried the Schaller roller bridge? I have one and it's amazingly useful, it even lets you change string spacing and also looks great, mine is gold and I've been using it for 7 years, the finish hasn't started to fade away yet. It also came with adapters to fit inside the original bridge studs.

Looks like those will fit......It's good to know from a real player that they're good..........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

In terms of functionality... When I got my Guild S100c back in the 70s it had a stop bar and roller bridge. Never really thought about it - but never had much trouble with tuning on that guitar and none at all with the bridge. With no whammy of any sort I don't know why they bothered... but...

m

Archived