Gibson Brands Forums

Rocksmith Les Paul Jr Question about pickup mounting ring!

Pickled_Moose

Hi All,

I havn't played guitar in about 10 years (due to frustration) but I recently picked up the Rocksmith bundle, and it came with the same, "vintage sunburst" guitar I pawned years ago!

I am now blazing through the solos with the game, but the LP Jr still sounds as aweful (IMO) as mine did 10 years ago.

I'd like to buy a Gibson p-94 or a SD Phat Cat to replace the 700T pick up.

So here's my question, will the Gibson 3/8", black, mounting ring work in my Jr? I measured mine, and it looks more like 1/2" to 5/8"

I checked my girlfriend son's '80 Sonex deluxe, and the bridge mounting ring looks more like 3/8, and it is definately smaller than my Jr's.

Will I not be able to position the pickup as close to the strings with a smaller mounting ring?

What do EP LP Jr owners normally do when they want to switch the beige mounting ring to black?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Mr. Moose!

RaSTuS already covered your main question.

I'm just throwing in a post script.

What do EP LP Jr owners normally do when they want to switch the beige mounting ring to black?

A couple/few years ago replacement rings for Epi guitars were much harder to find as they are metric and not imperial.

Things have changed. A brief internet search will usually turn up sources for metric rings. They can now be ordered with flat bottoms, curved bottoms, bridge position, neck position as well as most colors including chrome.

Willy

Thank you all for the quick responses!

Just spray paint the Jr's ring black with some glossy black Krylon...

I think this is the route I will take, I happen to have a can of black satin Krylon Fusion in my garage.

I'll need to keep an eye out for a metric mount ring, if anyone can post links that would be awesome.

Thanks again!

Archived