Gibson Brands Forums

Estate Sale Find!

retrorod

Hey All! Just want to share a recent 'vintage purchase'..

Went to an estate sale of a deceased "band instrument rep" that was a bass player. My buddy had bought an original Ampeg Bassamp ca '55 from the estate,weeks prior to the auction, that I did a restore/cap job on. He said that not much else there but, 3 upright basses.

On the day of the auction, I showed up and saw a cheap Brazlian classical on the table and a black softshell case on the ground. Thinking for sure it was an empty case....I opened it and there was a Gibson SJ of.... older vintage...!

I knew at least 6 people were intersted in it. Came down to bidding and one other person was driving past $300 AND I WAS PERSISTANT AND WON. Turned out to be a '47-'48.

What a SWEETIE! Needs some work.....I am doing it! Pictures to follow!!

Rod

[omg] Wow- amazing! Congrats, Rod! B) Looking forward to seeing pics!

Seems like I've spent half my life at estate sales, auctions, flea markets, etc, and... this never happens to me [huh] (with guitars, that is... I've had dozens of other great finds with antiques/collectibles).

[omg] Wow- amazing! Congrats, Rod! B) Looking forward to seeing pics!

Seems like I've spent half my life at estate sales, auctions, flea markets, etc, and... this never happens to me [huh] (with guitars, that is... I've had dozens of other great finds with antiques/collectibles).

I can relate to your story! I have spent much of my life buying other peoples 'treasures' at yard and estate sales, but have rarely got a great guitar from such venues.

This SJ was in a soft case, minus strings and nut. Had two 'amateur-grade' top crack repairs as well as top brace gluing. A silver dollar size hole on the bass bout filled and a wedge-shape chunk of the headstock repaired. Not professional.....BUT adequite! Oh yeah, and a back brace replaced and the bridge lifting! It had the shrunken knob original PAT PEND Klusons tuners in place. The original finish is in pretty great shape with minor weather-checking. Oh Yeah, a 3" piece of binding from the treble/body side of the neck is missing. All else, tight! The truss rod neck was absolutely straight and the original frets(though small and narrow) were still dressed nicely!

3 digit FON# with red #'s ,belly-down bridge,19-fret, wedge-peghead, all spoke old. A half dozen other guys were guessing 70's-60's......I agreed....a piece of ****.... [biggrin]

I will say, after I bought it....I made a bone nut and strung her up, the very same day....AWESOME> I fell in love! The bridge was lifting worse under the tension, so I de-tuned and started the necessary structural repairs. I have done them and am in playing mode. ........still infatuated with the tone.

Everyone talks about 'breaking in' a new guitar. I only hope that there is a possibility of an old ....'broken in' but 'unplayed' for several years, guitar....."opening up" with playing again! I believe it is sooooo!

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Archived