Gibson Brands Forums

SG G400 improvements

flatestring

Bought a new faded brown sg g400 and it checks out that the actions a bit low at the nut

and before I take it in for warranty I was wondering what people thought about the black tusq graphtec

nut. Is it worth the upgrade?

Also did Epiphone do away with the truss rod adjustment specs in the manual, I dont see them.

One of the most performed upgrades on Epi's is the nut, and the Tusq nuts are extremely popular for this, they're my favourites.

[/quo

What about pickups? waist of money?

The stock one's are Neck Pickup Alnico Classic™ humbucker

Bridge Pickup Alnico Classic Plus™ humbucker

What about pickups? waist of money?

The stock one's are Neck Pickup Alnico Classic™ humbucker

Bridge Pickup Alnico Classic Plus™ humbucker

That really depends on what you think of them, the only person it has to sound good to is you really. A lot of people say they're muddy and change them without exploring other options, you can do a whole lot with capacitors and they only cost a dollar or two each.

1/ they can be wired inline on the hot lead of the pickup to give a different tonal palette, member "gearhead" done a thread on this several months ago, alas I'm not using my normal computer setup so I don't have the bookmark for it available at hand.

2/ you can do the "treble bleed mod", it's a fairly common mod, so there's info on it everywhere.

3/ you can change the capacitance value on the tone pot, but this is only useful if you use your tone controls, if you leave them full on it won't make any difference.

If you're unhappy with your current sound there are several good pickup options available, GFS would probably be the best bang for buck, in the more expensive class there are Seymour Duncan, Lollar, Dimazario and the real deal Gibsons.

For any of the above, the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge (thanks to member animalfarm who created and maintains it) is an excellent read.

Archived