Gibson Brands Forums

Another Epiphone... "Relic'd" Korina V

dxdgenert

Thought I'd share my newest addition:

DSC03654.jpgDSC03636.jpg

Picked this up for $100. Replaced the tuners with Pings (they were also included with the guitar), put on new Slinky .10's and gave it a "quick and dirty" setup. Clear as a bell and sustains better than my Les Paul Pro/FX. Not sure I'm keeping her but it was a cool score, regardless.

We'll see...

I'd like to re-install the tuners (fill holes, straighten the tuners), get an actual setup and replace the logo decal that was removed. With those tweaks, I'd have a better idea if I want to hold onto it.

If I keep it, I'm going to take a look at the electronics... I'm getting some scratchiness on the input jack and a weird feedback from the bridge pickup sometimes. Finally, I think the pickup covers have come loose and need to be reattached.

In all, I feel like a $100 guitar is a "no lose" situation. If nothing else, it is my first "beater" guitar, I baby all of mine.

We'll see...

I'd like to re-install the tuners (fill holes, straighten the tuners), get an actual setup and replace the logo decal that was removed. With those tweaks, I'd have a better idea if I want to hold onto it.

If I keep it, I'm going to take a look at the electronics... I'm getting some scratchiness on the input jack and a weird feedback from the bridge pickup sometimes. Finally, I think the pickup covers have come loose and need to be reattached.

In all, I feel like a $100 guitar is a "no lose" situation. If nothing else, it is my first "beater" guitar, I baby all of mine.

And a heck of a "Beater Guitar" is is!!!! Major Congrats on the score! [thumbup]

It soes sound like a look-over of the electronics is in order based on your noise issues.

1. Input Jack: Remove plate carefully, look for frayed strands, poor connection. Also,

gently bend jack tab torward center of jack - over time, they can get "pushed" away from center

from the pressure of the plug. This would result in a poor grounding connection inside the barrel.

Also, clean the jack Tab and inside the barrel:

"Input Jacks - How to keep them CLEAN" - Really!

http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/300-tip-how-to-clean/

2. Bridge Pickup: Does the "wierd Feedback" stop when you touch Pup cover or strings when Bridge is

selected? If so, you probably have an intermittent ground under the Pickguard. Could be at switch (if switch

has been allowed to spin), could be on back of one of the pots...

Just a simple, make sure all connections are good and solid look-over.

Good luck!

Archived