Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone by Gibson

MWB109

Hi,

New to the board. I bought a 335 knockoff from a co-worker one year ago. It is a white guitar with Epiphone by Gibsone on the headstock. The worker said that he bought it over 20 years ago in a pawn shop, no strings, in a beater guitar case. He said he rarely played it. I took the guitar in for new strings and intonation after I bought it. The person who did that has since moved. The pickups seem muddy sounding to me. I only paid $200 for it, plus I just noodle around with learning scales and chords.

I would like to upgrade the pickups and nut. I live in Houston Tx. Where should I take my guitar to have it worked on? Also, what pickups do you recommend for this guitar? I like blues and country. What other upgrades or changes should I have done on this guitar?

Thanks

I cant answer your questions, but I though you might like to know that you guitar was made sometime between 1986 -1988. The first number of the serial should give you the exact year.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions for your question in no time though.

There are lots of options for pickups, depending on the type of tone you prefer and how much you want to spend. GFS makes a variety of pickups that would fit your existing humbucker routs, from classic HB's to hotter-wound higher output versions. Their Retro-Tron series will also fit, but give a more Gretsch-Rickenbacker type of clean jangle or twang (twangle?).

However, before spending money on modifying the pickups, what type of amp are you using? The right amp can make more of a difference to your sound than changing pickups, and no labor is necessary (except the time you spend trying out different ones).

I live in Houston Tx. Where should I take my guitar to have it worked on? Also, what pickups do you recommend for this guitar? I like blues and country. What other upgrades or changes should I have done on this guitar?

Thanks

Fuller's Vintage Guitars.

Gibson '57 Classics.

Bone nut.

Have them check the pots and switches, dress the frets, and do a set up.

Red 333

Archived