Gibson Brands Forums

weight of Les Paul vs the Nighthawk

spooki1

I am thinking hard on buying the Epi Nighthawk to replace my Epi Les Paul Standard because the weight of the LP is just too much. Can anyone give me the weight difference between them? Or better yet the weight of each one. Thanks. Steve

I can't help you out with weights, but I can say that the nighthawk is a very different guitar. personally I would not buy one to replace a les paul...I would buy one as well as a les paulninja.gif That way that I can have two different flavours of guitar to play with [thumbup]

for a lighter les paul you can try the new ultra iii or the slightly older ultra ii which are chambered.

In fact, why not try a few ultras and nighthawks out at your local guitar store?

Part of what gives the LP its characteristic tone and sustain is the density and weight of the wood. If you're set on a lighter guitar but want to come close to the sound and feel of an LP, you might try:

1) LP Ultra, (or other chambered version)

2) G400. Substantially lighter than an LP, has a brighter tone and somewhat less sustain, but still packs a punch.

3) LP Special with humbuckers - like the LP without the maple cap. Less wood = lighter, though loses a little bit of tone.

4) AlleyKat - not quite the same body shape, but chambered and lighter; the bridge HB is close to an LP; the neck mini-hum is a bit brighter.

5) Epi ES-339 - semi-hollow construction is lighter, but scale length and pickups are much like the LP, so tone is similar.

The Nighthawk's longer scale length as well as its very different pickup configuration, makes it sound quite different from an LP.

Thanks to all so far. You have indeed been great with your input and welcomes as a new member. Hate to say it, but I'm not much of a tone person. Too many years of working around loud noise with no protection. Example: switched out the stock pups in my Epi Standard for Gibson 57 and 57 plus, then switched them for SD Dave Mustaine active pups and never saw a difference. Sad but true, and call me tone death. Bad back and just want to play the guitar again as I did 42 years ago. For fun. The LP was to much weight and I have had my eye on the Nighthawk since. Played a Fender Mustang 42 years ago but love the Epi feel and have also considered the Peavey Session. I have heard it also is a great guitar but $100 more. No possible place within 170 miles to go too a guitar center and just try em all out. Thanks again, you have been great help. Steve

Archived