Gibson Brands Forums

Better Pickups for my Les Paul Goth

Javier Fernandez G.

Hello,

I'm a happy owner of an Epiphone Les Paul Goth Studio guitar. The guitar is fantastic but I'm thinking to replace the current open coil Alnico Classic™ Pickups for other pick ups with better performance without loosing the vintage warm tone.

Does anyone would like to recommend some good, better quality pickups fitting on this guitar??

Does anyone thinks this is not a good idea??

Thanks in advance.

better performance without loosing the vintage warm tone.

Does anyone thinks this is not a good idea??

Welcome to the forum!

As a reference point...What kind of amp are you using?

Have you tried adjusting heights on your stock pups?....After that...

It's totally up to you. I change some pickups and keep others.

For keeping vintage tone with more definition and clarity you would probably be well off with PAF "style".

Vintage this's or that's. Otherwise, experiment?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

A good starting point is GFS vintage 59's. Sound similar to stock....just better. After that the price goes up and everyone has their own favorites.

Willy

Go to the Seymour Duncan website and listen to the samples. I spent hours there and then talked to some people who's opinion I respect (thanks, Rob), before deciding. There are sellers on eBay that sell new ones at a pretty good discount, especially the guys the accept offers.

I think that if you are willing to spend $100 each on pickups you are going to have a lot of choices.

I have heard many good things about the Burstbuckers (depending on how they are matched).

Alas, I have no personal experience with them.

As Tweed mentioned the SD's, I will say that my friend has a Paul with them. I've played his guitar and they were quite good.

Willy

My old Gibby had BB pros in, and they sounded really nice.

But I have to say, you can pick up some nice pickups for a fraction of the cost. If you are playing through a porfessional quality amp then you will probably notice a big difference between the stock pickups and the upgrade replacement pickups, but if you are playing through a small solid state practice amp for example, then you still won't have a great sound.

Archived