Gibson Brands Forums

G400 faded pick ups

Jack Middleton

Hey all, I was just wondering as I've read conflicting reports that the faded comes with a Hot 57 pick up in the bridge position? I've also heard that it just comes with an Epiphone Alnico plus Humbucker, can anyone clarify?

Not allowed the actual guitar till Christmas as my Mum put some towards it as well as me :( Pics will be uploaded when I get it though :D

if you are into metal then a high output humbucker with ceramic magnets instead of Alnico magnets might be just the job.

If you wind a pickup real hot it starts to loose the highs, and also,the clarity and definition under high gain, but if we use a ceramic magnet we can wind them hotter without loosing out on clarity and achieve a nice smooth tight distortion. effectively creating a Distortion Humbucker.

I don't know what sort of sound the iommi 'bucker has, but you should try youtubing some demo's and also have a listen on the seymour duncan website.

Thanks, I'll take a listen.

The Tony Iommi signature pick up has a strip of Alnico 2 poles and a strip of Ceramic poles for the balance, they sound pretty awesome, I've also looked at the Dirty fingers pick up by Gibson but if I can get something similar from SD for a better price it's definitely worth considering.

I've been pricing up the different pick ups and it would seem that the SH-5 would be best as I can get one for £50 new, would the existing epiphone covers on the stock pick ups fit the SD pick up? Also I presume that the SD pick ups would fit in the pre existing routed cut outs?

Yes your new pickups will fit existing routs, But the pickup rings (if included in the sale), might be a slightly different size, but it's not really an issue because you can use your original epiphone pickup rings.

However, the neck and bridge pickups have slightly different pole spacings so make sure you get one that is spaced for the bridge.

I've been looking at pick ups and I'm going to order an SH-5 for the bridge, I'll leave the neck pick up for the time being.

Is replacing a pick up really as easy as it looks? From what I can gather, from this image is:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/electric/humbuckers/501005-110.pdf

Bare and green soldered to the back of the Volume potentiometer to act as a ground, the red and white wire are soldered together and then taped off and the black wire is soldered to the terminal on the Volume potentiometer?

It looks simple enough and I was going to get someone from my local music store to do it, but having seen that diagram it would appear that it's quite simple.

I've been looking at pick ups and I'm going to order an SH-5 for the bridge, I'll leave the neck pick up for the time being.

Is replacing a pick up really as easy as it looks? From what I can gather, from this image is:

http://www.seymourdu.../501005-110.pdf

Bare and green soldered to the back of the Volume potentiometer to act as a ground, the red and white wire are soldered together and then taped off and the black wire is soldered to the terminal on the Volume potentiometer?

It looks simple enough and I was going to get someone from my local music store to do it, but having seen that diagram it would appear that it's quite simple.

It is pretty much that simple, a few things though if you plan on doing it yourself, try not to put too much heat into the volume pot and make sure the pot is set to zero before doing any soldering on it, that way if too much heat creates a dead spot, it won't interfere with the normal sweep of the pot.

Archived