Gibson Brands Forums

Quesiton about pickups

EchoWays86

So i have a ESP LTD Deluxe edition ec1000. I got it because i was really into that stupid hardcore scene when i purchased it. Well lets just say i have much better taste in other styles of music. Im in love with so many varying genres that those active humbuckers just ruin or muddy any sound so i resort to playing my strat or Epiphone special. So i was wondering, if i gutted the active EMGs out of the LTd and put some vintage gibson humbuckers in there or even soap bars. Would it sound like a specialized gibson. I mean i know its not crafted the same way and it wouldn't be the real thing. But its the same types of wood, shape, weight. Just some different artistic flair. So what do you guys think?!

I think if you got some 57 Classic's you'd like the sound.

If you pull the EMG system without cutting any wires so that the next owned doesn't have anything to solder you can sell in on Ebay for good money and make back a lot of what you spend on the 57s.

if you really want a gibson, sell your ESP and buy one.

Your always going to be wondering what the Gibson would sound like with those 57's

but yes you can take out the EMG's. I personally would change all the hardware and electronics. check the manufacturer of the tuners if they are ok mechanically and from a reputable manufacturer then keep them, but then thats what I do anyways [thumbup]

I wouldn't replace anything you arn't having a problem with unless you just like spending money. I'd swap the pickups and play this guitar for a year or so. Save up your money and decided what you like and don't like about this guitar. You may decide there's nothing wrong with it.

Well, it might not be about spending money with him. Different pickups give me a totally different feel. I have the EC-1000 also and I have Gibson Les Paul's. Honestly, I wouldn't change out the EMG's in the EC-1000. They are awesome pickups. They are different than the Gibson pickups and I use them both for different things. I love my 498T in my Gibson Les Paul and it sounds really heavy. But when I want lead's and the best pinch harmonics I use my Ec-1000 with EMG's. Just because a lot of metalcore bands use EMG's and you are no longer into that style of music, it doesn't really mean anything. You can find a lot of bands using EMG's who are not into that style of music. Including some that play more of a classic style. There are bands like Coheed & Cambria who do a good solid rock type of music and they have EMG's in some of their Gibson guitars.

I'd look into getting another guitar one day for the different pickups. But as far as the ESP goes I'd leave those EMG's in there. No matter what style of music you play they can be useful. Especially for leads.

Hey everyone ive been taking a lot into consideration about what you guys said, And i think ill keep the EMGs in there. I was experimenting with some different amps and sounds with the emgs and i found i can still get some crunch sounds i just gotta tweak a lot more cause of the high gain. I think the best post was that i should save up for a whole different guitar one day. I defiantly agree, thanks for the speedy responses people i appreciate it!

Hey everyone ive been taking a lot into consideration about what you guys said, And i think ill keep the EMGs in there. I was experimenting with some different amps and sounds with the emgs and i found i can still get some crunch sounds i just gotta tweak a lot more cause of the high gain. I think the best post was that i should save up for a whole different guitar one day. I defiantly agree, thanks for the speedy responses people i appreciate it!

Because you are used to it and want to try something different you probably aren't realizing how nice the Ec-1000 is and just how versatile the EMG's are. I love my Gibson Les Paul's but honestly my EC-1000 is probably my favorite guitar. Lower the pickups from the strings more if they are too high output. I don't really have a problem with them. I play the heavy stuff but if I play something else I am able to do it on the EMG's well. Plus the EMG 60 in there sounds great on cleans.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I put a set of 57's in a PRS SE Paul Allender and the tone was VERY close to that of my '79 LP Custom. However, the 'feel' of the guitars were so different from each other, that the upgrade in p'ups did not justify the switch. Real USA wood still rocks!! :)

Archived