Gibson Brands Forums

Crazy date

drumrnmuzik

Hello,

I purchased a Gibson S1 yesterday and am very please with it. Yes, it needs some work. New frets and tuners, and the heal plate and bridge cover need a trip to the chrome shop but the neck and body are sturdy. Once back in pristine state she will really turn some heads.

Last night once I finally got home with my new beauty, I went on the Gibson serial numbers list and the numbers just don't match up. #967483 is stamped into the head stock, no sticker.

I should be a 75 since the body looks like adler. I'd kinda curious when my girl was born.

I read through the list metamorphosis that the serial numbers went through, but my 6 numbers don't seem to apply to 1975 or anything within the 4 years that they made S1's.

Someone have some ideas ?

Drumrnmuzik,

Does it have Made in USA stamped on back of headstock?

Also, although not always accurate, according to "guitar dater project":

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA

approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

(although I don't think the Nashville plant opened until "74")

That 6 digit serial number would correspond to:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

Hope others are more help,

Willy

Thanks Willy,

The link was interesting, in theory I should have a sticker for a serial number. The Made IN USA is stamped into the head stock right under the 6 numbers

"1969-1975: 6 digit peghead stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below"

"1975-1977: tagged (decal) serial number, MADE IN USA below."

I may be in that grey area, 1975 decal or 1975 pressed into the wood, right before they started with the decals. Since it's adler body, it should be a 1975. I've seen numerous persons say that they only made adler in 1975.

It fun to hold a piece of history in my hands!

Archived