Gibson Brands Forums

Bone or Tusq?

barton8367

Try both some guitars will work better with bone and some with tusq and some will gladly stay better with the plastic saddle as for the nut well you only need to change that for looks if that matters to you, me I don't always swap them out it just depends on how different the saddle will look in comparison to each other and each guitar responds differently and of course your own ears as to what it likes in terms of sound.ship

From what Ive read the West African elephant tusk are the "creme de la creme", Ive seen good things said about fossilized walrus tusk too but don't know for sure about ether. Also, it seems to me that the most important thing is the bridge pins being stable so that may be the first thing to try replacing...that is if you have some sort of cheep plastic set in there now.

Check this link for more info....

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

Ray

Bone or Tusq maybe a matter of how much you want to spend, so you need to inquire at you local guitar shop and find out what it wall run you for either one.

Also Graph Tech Tusq is man made material and Bone is from a cow. I know that Tusq come in pre-made compensated, but I sure so do bone. You do need to know the thickness of your saddle slot if your thinking of doing it yourself.

Graph Tech Site

Hope that helps.

Sorry but I have to know why on green earth would the pins ( pins are use to keep the ball ends pressed up against the bridge plate to help the vibration to the top ) make any difference and the only time the nut is going to make a differnce is when you play open notes once you fret a string the nut is out of the equation and no bone saddles are not compensated when you buy them unless you have some one like Bob Colossi make one for you.

I also have tried Walrus and old fossolized saddles and for the money well lets just say I wish I hadn't wasted that much $'s and elephant tusk was great on one of my guitars but it was a bit expensive to say the least and I can't ever take it across the border with it in.ship......merry christmas everyone

Archived