Gibson Brands Forums

Body finish on Special II Plus Top?

RocknRollFun

I have a new Special II Plus Top [trans blue] and have searched high and low on the Internet but haven't definitively answered whether or not it is coated with nitrocellulose lacquer.

Amazon has a cheap stand on sale that I was considering but luckily someone mentioned the rubber on it would react with nitrocellulose lacquer. [stupid that a manufacturer would make a guitar stand that ruins the paint of some guitars, but OK.] If anyone here knows, an answer would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

[bonus question: Would a hard case that fits Les Paul Standard style be good for a Special II?]

[bonus question: Would a hard case that fits Les Paul Standard style be good for a Special II?]

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the guitar!

Les Paul cases are designed for full "thickness" L.P.s

You can put a thinner Special or Junior in one. The outline of the body is very close.

With a thinner body, the body will sit lower in the case causing the neck to ride up. This can possibly lead to damage upon closing the case.

If you go with a case designed for an L.P. (Studio, Standard or Custom) I suggest a trip to a fabric store.

I traced a template of the guitar body onto a piece of construction paper.

Cut it out and use it on some high density foam rubber. Cut out the foam rubber and use spray glue to attach fabric to the top. (Also wrapped around the sides.)

IMG_1364.jpg....IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg....photo2.jpg

When done, I simply tucked them into the case.

Notice that some pieces are thicker than other based on where in the case they will be sitting.

I only bought one size foam but, it did get stacked as the pieces got closer to the neck.

Willy

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the guitar!

Les Paul cases are designed for full "thickness" L.P.s

You can put a thinner Special or Junior in one. The outline of the body is very close.

With a thinner body, the body will sit lower in the case causing the neck to ride up. This can possibly lead to damage upon closing the case.

I understand what you're saying completely. That is an excellent tip! I hope to one day justify an upgrade to a less "beginner" guitar, so this would be great to make a hard shell fit my current baby and possibly a future one. I have a ways to go [wink]

The better fitting case for the Nighthawk is the SG-case !

Thanks for that. I did forget to mention that the body of the Nighthawk does sit a little low leaving the neck at a slight angle. Closes ok though, I don't have to force it closed. But on your advice, I think I'll order the SG case soon. I haven't seen any cases listed specifically for the Nighthawk.

Archived