Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Ultra III

FatFingerMike

I've had my new Ultra III now for a few months and it is great, except the built in tuner is acting up. It's not as accurate as it was when it was new. I changed the 9 volt battery (the wire length for the battery was so short I had to drop the battery down in the compartment first before the battery would snap into place.) The tuner's red lights (when in tune mode) bounce up and down and flicker so its hard to tell when the string is in tune. I've lowered the volume and everything, the lights still bounce around. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks PS I want to note that the Grover hardware is excellent and I hardly ever have to tune my Les Paul.

Have you tried cutting the tone and switching to the neck pick up? I find this stops the flicking of tuners.

So you do have this problem I assume? I will try your tip. Thanks.

The best way to tune a guitar without too much tuner flutter is to select the neck pickup, turn volume up full (doesn't matter if it's muted at the jack), turn the tone right down, and pick the string at the 12th fret (the halfway point), works a treat. It was a tip contributed by member animalfarm a while back, I've used it ever since and it makes tuning much, much easier.

Archived