Gibson Brands Forums

G400 Project

JoelKnauber

Hey! first post here, so don't hate. [wink]

I'm a college student at UW-Stout, and I play lead guitar along with lead locals for the campus crusade band here at Stout, doing mostly hillsong type music.

So i've had this Vintage G400 for quite a while, and running direct in from a BOSS ME-20 was good enough for me for about a year, and lately, i had a thirst for a tone that didn't... suck.

i bought a VOX AD15VT, a pretty simple 15 watt amp with a 12AX7 groove tube, and JBL speaker. (sounds really good on the AC30TB setting) and mic'd it with a 57, and that was a huge improvement.

I noticed next how muddy my pickups were. so that's where i am now.

it started out just like every other vintage g400 (love how the vintage has the neck binding)

SG_6215.jpg

then i stripped it down

6561484529_9cb14c5753_z.jpg

I did a LOT of research about the pickups i wanted and here's what i ended up with

6561487847_a4b447c670_z.jpg

Went with the Dream 90 from GFS for the neck, and the Gibson 500t for the bridge. i know a lot of people hate on the 500t, but hey, its an SG. its supposed to sound like that.

also, the P94 is supposed to go realllly well with a 498t/500t in a thin SG, so, i'm hoping for some nice single coil crunch along with the screaming 500t.

I ordered a Cream-Black-Cream full face pickguard from greasygroove about a week ago, that should be coming within the next few days

goin for this look:

GibsonSGStandard.jpg

anyways, thats what i've got so far, i'll keep you posted when more parts come in!

id love to see some other modded g400's that you guys have got, too.

-Joel

Welcome to the forums Joel, there's a great group of geet geeks around here, I hope you like the place.

The P90 neck/HB bridge is a very popular combination, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the results, good luck with it, love to see the final results when the pg arrives.

Looks good.............I picked up a modded Gibson S.G.....I un-modded it, and re-modded it with a Bigsby, a Gibby 57 and a 57 +,

and a Wilkinson Roller ( metric ) bridge.........No pics yet.........

The P90 neck/HB bridge is a very popular combination, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the results,

+1. I have a HB bridge/P-90 neck in a couple SG's and Dot's. It's a great idea. You get warmth and muscle where you need it in the bridge, and a clearer, sharper neck tone. Should be a lot more common.

Archived