Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard care

ajzwart

Hey guys, just wondering what you all use to darken up your rosewood fretboards. I've heard lemon oil is good, but I've also heard that it can do your fretboard harm overtime. Any other methods out there that you guys use to keep your fretboard looking nice and dark?

Most lemon oil is lemon scented mineral oil.....It is safe for most fretboards....Many guitarists use a product called "Fret Doctor."

This should start the thread for you........Also, check out the "DIY" thread on the Epiphone Lounge......At the top...........

Thanks Damian! Any other takers? I was looking at the Dunlop fretboard prep and cleaner/Deep Cleaner combo kit... around 10 bucks, probably can't go wrong with that?

Probably the best, and cheapest is a product called "Raw Linseed Oil".

You can also use "Boiled" Linseed Oil, but RAW is better. Boiled leaves a little heavier sheen.

I just bought a liter (for you non metric people it is almost a quart) for 5.95.

That much will last me for a few years. And that is using it in my shop also.

I repair and build guitars part time.

Remember to thouroughly clean the fretboard before oiling.

Lemon oil works great. So does linseed oil.

However, on Epi's, it is kind of pointless unless you scrape off the coating on the fret board down to the bare wood.

There is a very thin layer of something like a plastic coating or something that comes off very easily by scraping with a stiff, single sided razor blade, working back and forth between the frets and along the board's radius.

It leaves the wood exposed, so it will breathe and absorb the oil dressing. This process has the added advantage of leveling off any high inlays and the board will darken up quite a bit and be smooth as silk. I highly recommend this procedure.

Soak the fret board for 20 minutes or so, wipe off, and re-apply. The easiest Epi mod ever.

Lemon oil works great. So does linseed oil.

However, on Epi's, it is kind of pointless unless you scrape off the coating on the fret board down to the bare wood.

There is a very thin layer of something like a plastic coating or something that comes off very easily by scraping with a stiff, single sided razor blade, working back and forth between the frets and along the board's radius.

It leaves the wood exposed, so it will breathe and absorb the oil dressing. This process has the added advantage of leveling off any high inlays and the board will darken up quite a bit and be smooth as silk. I highly recommend this procedure.

Soak the fret board for 20 minutes or so, wipe off, and re-apply. The easiest Epi mod ever.

Forgot to mention, I play a Gibby LP... Don't know if this applies for Gibsons or not. Assuming It doesn't, seeing as I've used fast fret and that soaks into the fretboard nicely.

Archived