Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON 50TH ANNI. ROBBY KRIEGER SG VS 61 REISSUE

alexandros

Hi! I'd like to help me choose between GIBSON 50TH ANNI. ROBBY KRIEGER SG and 61 REISSUE SG...Is it true that the first is solid mahogany bodied in contrast with the 61 reissue which is either 1or 2 mahogany pieces bodied? I am not sure whether the tremolo is comfortable for someone like me who is never gonna use it....? Finally which do you think would be more suitable for fast rock music such as punk rock? thanks!!!!

1. Don't know about pieces of wood used. Mine appears to be a 1 piece, but it is a 2001 model.

2. You can remove the tremelo arm of the vibrola on either model if you like. There is only 1 screw holding it in place. That way, you still have the cool tailpiece, even if you don't like to use the whammy bar.

3. I think any SG is great for any kind of music.

I own 2 of the Kriegers, and both have 2-piece bodies with the lamination seam going right down the center.

The Maestros hold tune very well (a pinch of powdered graphite in the bridge & nut slots works wonders), and the body bevels are a bit more "period correct' than those on the 61RI.

Lastly, the neck profile on the Krieger is slightly thinner & a tad more narrow than the neck on the 61RI. I use mine for a wide range of musical styles - just about everything but jazz - although I'm sure it would work for that as well.

Both are outstanding guitars, and I think you would be happy with either one. Hardtail or trem? Batwing or 1/2 'guard? It all comes down to personal preference.

Archived